Upgrading win 7 pro

hgrock 09:20 AM 12 Jul 11

hello all, i downloaded a trial progran and deleted it then i had problems with windows no internet and i get this error, windows cannot connect to systen event service, my system restore has been disabled etc. i tried a repair no joy, so i tried an upgrade but because the installed version is newer it wont upgrade. i am trying to avoid a clean install. how can i get past the "you have a newer version of windows" and do the upgrade

gengiscant 09:35 AM 12 Jul 11

Start your computer in safe mode with command prompt. At the command prompt, type rstrui.exe, and then press ENTER. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation

What was the trial program?

gengiscant 09:37 AM 12 Jul 11

Sorry meant to add: To begin entering Windows 7 Safe Mode, turn on or restart your PC,press the F8 key

Zeppelyn 15:40 PM 12 Jul 11

You are getting this message as Im guessing you have Service Pack 1 installed whereas your disc is the original.

You basically have two options, Uninstall SP 1 or slipstream SP 1 into a new Windows 7 disc using something like RT7Lite.

gengiscant 15:57 PM 12 Jul 11

That's useful 'zeppelyn'

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday deals & best UK Black Friday tech…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Jean Jullien, Supermundane and more design badges for Farmdrop's 'local food revolution'

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know