Upgrading Video Cards

Major Disaster 18:27 22 Apr 05

At the moment i have a Nvidia GeForce4 MX 420 video card with 64MB of ram in it. Would it be beneficial to me to improve performance of my gameplay (as my computer is starting to become very slow with its 2.4Ghz processor and 256MB RAM) by upgrading the card to something like a 128 MB card (as i have a limited budget) or wouldnt there be a worthwhile performance boost?

Major Disaster 18:43 22 Apr 05

oh by the way, i am also upgrading the RAM by adding a 512MB stick to my 256MB, so is there any point of upgrading my card if im allready doing this, or is it still worth while to upgrade my video card?
Any help/advice is much appreciated

gudgulf 18:43 22 Apr 05

Just about any card on the karket will be an improvement on a Gforce mx420.I have one of these card in its pci rather than agp version.I keep it as a backup in case my main card fails.There are other things to bear in mind with your existing card such as the fact that it is based on old DirectX7 technology so does not really support the last generation of games properly,never mind the new ones.

You don't say what your budget is but something like an ATI9600pro click here or equivalent would match your processor well.If you post the amount you have to spend,motherboard type(you will be severely restricted in what you can use if you have no agp slot,for example)and make of processor that would help us a lot.Also if you are running Xp then upgrading to 512MB of ram memory would bring a big improvement in overall system performance too.

gudgulf 18:51 22 Apr 05

If you want to play games then upgrade your card.....Have a look at click here

The nearest card to yours is the mx440.It is a faster card than the one you have.Compare it with an ATI9600pro and make your own mind up,lol

Obviously there are alternatives but that will give you an idea of the sort of card you should be thinking about.

Major Disaster 18:57 22 Apr 05

I was thinking of only about £40 to upgrade becuase i saw a The Crucial RADEON X300SE 128MB PCI Express for £45.81 and thought it looked like a big improvement.
I have just ran the Belarc Advisor so i can tell you excatly what ive got at the mo.
My processor - 2.27 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
and i think this is my motherboard - Board: Intel Corporation D845EPT2 AAA83422-107
Serial Number: CN04P6154811127200HJ
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Intel Corp. A02 05/22/2002
So what do you think? What can i have that would improve gameplay for around £40? Thanks again for the help!

Totally-braindead 19:03 22 Apr 05

Regarding the newer games I've got 2 at the moment that say GeForce 4 MX cards are not supported so I think its a good time to replace your card. System memory and the graphics card memory are entirely different, unless you've got onboard graphics. Installing more system memory will make a big difference to you, especially as you're running with 256mb at the moment. Regarding the graphics card theres plenty out there at a reasonable price but which one to opt for depends on how much you are willing to spend and also what type of games you play. If you play high graphics intensive games then obviously you will be better getting a more expensive card, if not a cheaper one will do. I can't say whether a 256mb card will give better performance than a 128mb card but I'm sure someone on the Forum will be able to advise.

Totally-braindead 19:04 22 Apr 05

Took me a while to type what I did so I've just read what you've asked. One question, does you motherboard support PCI Express?

Major Disaster 19:08 22 Apr 05

I have absolutely no idea! Ill post some info that i got from Belarc to see if that is any help.
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420 [Display adapter]
Intel PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller
Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C2
Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C4
Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C7
Any help?

Totally-braindead 19:09 22 Apr 05

I've just downloaded and looked at the manual for what I think is you motherboard, the D845EPT2 and theres no mention of support for PCI Express so you would have to get a AGP graphics card.

Totally-braindead 19:10 22 Apr 05

Heres the link I used for the motherboard manual click here

Major Disaster 19:14 22 Apr 05

I just had a quick look at the guide and it might have well as been written in Russian! Can you give me any advice/ ideas of a half decent graphics card that would work with my pc for around £40? Thanks for any help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…