Upgrading to USB2

Keith36 16:09 14 Jan 05

I have a custom-built machine (Dec 02) running XP SP2 with an Asus A7S333 motherboard. It came with USB1 with 6 ports - two on the front of the case, two which seem to be directly connected to the motherboard at the back, and two on a PCI card. I decided to upgrade to USB2 and bought a PCI card which I installed in the slot where the original USB1 card had been installed. A connector wire which ran to/from the original card did not fit on the new card so I have left it unconnected. The new card is shown in Device Manager which lists "NEC PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller" as well as "NEC PCI to USB Open host controller" and "SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open host controller". The ports on the new card work fine - but only as USB1. I've obviously missed a trick here!

bvw in bristol 16:11 14 Jan 05

"Enhanced" means USB2.

TomJerry 16:13 14 Jan 05

go to device manage, uninstall drive for everthng related to usb and reboot machine to let XP try to find correct drive

Keith36 17:02 14 Jan 05

Thanks TomJerry. Did this and now have functioning USB2 ports. Also discovered that a "freebie" USB hub I have been given is only USB1 and plugging this into any of the 4 ports on the PCI card slows them all to USB1

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…