Upgrading from USB1.1 to USB2.0

nic davies 15:53 24 May 07

Please be aware I am a complete novice when it comes to matters 'computer'. I use my PC as a tool but have no idea how it all works.

My computer tells me that my USB devices (external hard drive etc) can work faster if I use a hi-speed connection but then, having searched, tells me I have no such capability on my computer. I assume this means I am running USB1.1 and need to upgrade to USB2.0. What do I have to do/buy to upgrade my PC to allow me to get the best from my external USB devices (I handle a lot of images as part of my work)?

I think the relevant detail is:

Intel(R) 82801BA/BAM Universal Host Controller -2442 (and - 2444).

Apologies for being SO ignorant! Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Kate B 15:58 24 May 07

Blimey, if your machine only has USB1 it's an old one. You can easily add a USB2 card click here so long as you or someone you know is happy to open up the side of the machine and stick it in a spare PCI slot. But what version of Windows are you using? I'm not sure which version rolled out support for USB2.

recap 16:00 24 May 07

When purchasing a USB 2.0 card ensure that it support the operating system that you have. Some USB 2.0 cards do not support Windows 98 or earlier.

Technotiger 16:00 24 May 07

Hi, all you need is a USB2 PCI Card, you can get one with four external USB Ports ...

click here

Totally-braindead 16:00 24 May 07

If your computer doesn't have USB 2.0 then what you need is a USB 2.0 PCI card like one of these click here theres many others click here different makes, different number of ports etc.
You do need to be using Windows 98 se or above and have a free PCI slot, they are the white ones on your motherboard at the bottom, there will be at least 2 of them on your board up perhaps more.

If you get one only these ports will be USB 2.0 the others will stay USB 1.1.

Totally-braindead 16:01 24 May 07

I see we're all saying the same thing and 3 of us posted at the same time, god we must be bored.

Pamy 16:11 24 May 07

Do you realy want USB2? as long as you are happy with how you USB1 stuff runs I would not bother

Stuartli 16:18 24 May 07
  Totally-braindead 18:35 24 May 07

Pamy its an external hard drive he's on about. Upgrading to USB 2.0 would make an incredible difference to that, things like printers and scanners make little difference but an external hard drive could run enormously faster.

how olds your pc nic,you may need a driver

nic davies 20:41 24 May 07

Thanks for the rapid input guys (and gals?). I already have a USB 2.0 PCI card (still in the packaging) and upon contacting the Belkin helpline to check that this is what I actually needed they told me that this wouldn't necessarily solve the problem and perhaps the driver was the problem.

I'm running Windows XP Professional (how ironic is that?), Pentium 4 (if that's relevant) in a recently reconditioned PC supplied FOC cos of my wildlife conservation work.

I'll get someone to help me fit the PCI card and we'll see what happens. This may not be the last you all hear from me. Thanks again!! Nic Davies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5