Upgrading from USB 1.1 to USB 2

Alf58 12:17 20 Dec 03

My Medion 2.6 Ghz (WIN XP Home Edition) computer is equipped with 4 USB 1.1 sockets: two on the front and two on the back of the machine. I would like to upgrade to USB 2 by purchasing an upgrade card (I have a spare PCI slot) QUESTION: Will USB 2 run alongside USB 1.1 without conflicts and hassle?
If there is a problem here do I need to physically remove the 1.1 USBs or would unistalling them be enough? If I had to remove them I would be left with hole in the front of the machine. OR does anyone know if Medion supply USB 2 upgrade kits so I could neatly slot everything in with minium of fuss?

Jester2K II 12:21 20 Dec 03

Just install a USB 2 card and leave the USB 1.1s in as well.

Djohn 12:23 20 Dec 03

Yes you can install a USB2 PCI card to the rear of your PC and keep the USB1.1 as well. The new card will give you up to 4 USB connectors at the rear.

You can also buy a card that will give you the connectors at the rear with leads to provide 2 connectors at the front. If you buy the latter, then I think you will be able to disconnect your present wiring to the front connectors and re-connect the USB2 wiring. j.

Alf58 13:05 20 Dec 03

Thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…