Upgrading some bits...

orlandogreenback 15:51 20 Feb 04

I know there are discussions akin to this elsewhere but my situation is a little different. I want to upgrade a computer's basic internals; mobo, VGA, sound, Modem and RAM along with a case. The trouble is the HDD is practically new, running W98 SE with no problems. The owner doesn't want to move to XP as she knows 98 and can't actually afford XP. Am I being wishful in hoping everything will just take, and if so, what problems am I likely to encounter? Anything that would entail the complete loss of all the data on the HDD? Thanks in advance.

clayton 16:20 20 Feb 04

If your going to install a new motherboard,graphics card, modem ect you will need to reformat the hard drive & do a clean install of windows 98, just backup any documents & files you need to keep.

ps you can get windows xp home for £62 from here
click here

half price delivery this weekend @ ebuyer.

Gaz 25 16:24 20 Feb 04

You could just uninstall all the drivers for everything, put new in and install new drivers.

Gongoozler 16:25 20 Feb 04

Hi orlandogreenback. Some times you can just fit a new motherboard and Windows accepts it. This is most likely if the new motherboard has the same chipset. Other times, Windows can get very unhappy about the wrong drivers being installed. I haven't come accross a situation where the data is lost, just lots of blue screens. For safety back up all the important files first and make sure you have all the drivers and software disks before you make the change.

I have carried out this same operation several times, and each time I've gone for a reformat and reinstallation of all the software.

Diemmess 16:34 20 Feb 04

Understand about wanting to posh it up. BUT but please bear in mind the wishes of the owner.

A modest improvement in mobo/CPU allowing for no more than 512Mb of DDR RAM. Don't use the fastest CPU either, Win98SE trips over itself at about 2Ghz.

Perhaps a new power supply to at least 350 Watts to avoid overload problems.

Choose a pretty case.

Software ... can mean snags all the way. Not for certain, but be ready in case of trouble.

Best make an image file first stored elsewhere or at least a copy of all data and internet settings and email ........ Some will say you would be better re-installing from a clean HD. I don't think so having merely altered the existing system after a similar re-vamp several times without trouble...... but on first booting you should check out the BIOS, using default settings unless you have good reason to change any.

Then expect to be ready for new drivers for any altered video card........ I wouldn't change the modem at all if it is working. You could later, but it is hard to see what you will gain.

The same goes for the sound item. (this usually "plays up" for me) and I would leave that until you are otherwise up,running, and stable.

Indigo 1 16:51 20 Feb 04

I found this great site click here which has lot's of really good relevant info.

Check out the "How-to's"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…