Upgrading SATA hard drive in Laptop

ajm 14:41 14 Mar 08

I have a sony VGN-S4M/S laptop and it currently has a 60GB SATA hard drive. I am considering upgrading to a larger capacity hdd and am wondering if the Machine will be able to see a 250GB drive?

Why wont it work 14:47 14 Mar 08

It's probably best to consult the manual first. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work, but some laptops can be unusual. I had a laptop which in the manual said it could only take up to 160gb, surely enough when I dismissed this and tried it anyway it didn't work. I suspect that that is a relatively rare occurence though, probably a bios flaw or something.

I have just upgraded an old laptop from 80gb to 200gb and there was no problem...

crosstrainer 14:49 14 Mar 08

click here

Of intrest.....Fairly rasy to do if you are careful, but remember that laptops are a lot more fussy than PCs

MPZMike 14:54 14 Mar 08

I purchased one of those 250gb solid state drives, popped straight into my HP laptop and boots windows in about 10 seconds - well good!

ajm 15:02 14 Mar 08

There is no mention of the limitation of capacity in the manual and also couldnt find it on the sony support site.

I have managed to take apart the sony laptop, just to get access to the hdd, and boy, was it a nightmare!!!! Had to remove the whole bottom part.

If the larger capacity doesnt work, I can then just pop it into a enclosure and use it as an external backup.

ajm 15:03 14 Mar 08

Are you sure of the size of the solid sate drive. 250GB?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…