Upgrading RAM - help needed !

Paul33 14:37 18 Oct 06

I have a miserable record of trying to upgrade RAM in my PC so I'm looking for some help here.

I don't know what type of RAM stick I need and I don't know what the capacity is of the PC or either of the individual RAM slots.

Is there an online tool/program or a piece of freeware that will tell me what I need to know so that I can safely purchase the right RAM ?

Any help appreciated !

anskyber 14:39 18 Oct 06

Click on Scan my System click here

hijo 14:40 18 Oct 06

hiya firstly to find out what type of ram u need just look here

click here

then you need to know your clock speed & whats the max RAM u can put in.. brb sorry pizza's burning :-)

Paul33 14:50 18 Oct 06

Okay, I've ran the diagnostic tool at Crucial (very good too !) and it tells me I have 768mb on board (256mb + 512mb) and that I have a maximum capacity of 1024mb.

I once read something about slot 1 sometimes having its own limiting RAM capacity so am I completely safe to purchase 512mb and replace the 256mb stick ?

Crucial has provided a list of compatible RAM sticks but I'm not sure what the differences are, other than the price. One type is DDR PC2700 CL-2.5 DDR333 2.5V and the other is DDR PC3200 CL=3 DDR400 2.6V.

Presumably both will work but any advice on choice ?

anskyber 14:54 18 Oct 06

At this stage I would speak to them by phone and explain what you have done. They are very reliable in my experience. If 2 are listed then usually both will work.

Paul33 14:55 18 Oct 06

Thanks for your help .... very impressive forum responses !

i'll be back !!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos