Upgrading RAM and graphics/video card

Helen-267236 19:30 02 Jan 05

I have a Compaq S5160UK with 256 mb RAM and Intel Integrated onboard chipset graphics 82845g with memory 64mb. I have 2.7 Ghz processor and run Windows XP Home. I want to increase the RAM and get a new graphics card for Sims 2. (It's the kids!!) Do I upgrade the RAM first and what is the most appropriate graphics card to get?. I don't know whether I have AGP or PCI slots. Will I have to take the cover off to look, and is this a job I can do myself?. I have some knowledge and am reluctant to let someone else dig around in my computer. I don't know anyone who could do it and don't really trust PC World!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:35 02 Jan 05

Video click here

other questions
click here

Helen-267236 20:02 02 Jan 05

great. Thanks for that. Any ideas on which graphics card, anyone, and which order should I do them in. Ram first?

ACOLYTE 20:05 02 Jan 05

If you increase ram you might not need the g card,just depends.

citadel 20:22 02 Jan 05

upgade ram to 512, the new 6600gt will play all modern games at high detail and framerates.

Tog_ 20:29 02 Jan 05

Check the game requirements, pick a card then visit the manufacturer's site to make sure it is DirectX 9.0c compatible before you buy. It must have that compatibility or it will not allow you to load the game.

Arthur Scrimshaw 20:32 02 Jan 05

Before selecting a graphics card you need to know if your motherboard has an AGP slot, which means you can fit an AGP graphics card, or if not you will need to buy a PCI graphics card.
Basicaly AGP has a faster data transfer rate - PCI runs at 133mb/sec whereas the fastest AGP (x8) runs at 2048mb/sec.

To tell the difference - an AGP slot is longer than a PCI slot, and is normally positioned before the PCI slots and offset slightly. See here for a better description click here

Once you have identified your options and budget, look at click here for unbiased benchmarks and opinions.

Helen-267236 17:48 03 Jan 05

Thanks for all your help and info. I know where to start now!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5