Upgrading ram

Subdux 19:13 21 Dec 14
Answered

Hi everyone!I recently decided that it's time for an upgrade on my 3 year old pc,so I went and ahead and ordered a new ram and a gpu.The problem,is when I replaced my old ram(2 sticks of 1gb each) with my new 8gb ram(KINGSTON HX316C10F/8 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ HYPERX FURY BLUE SERIES)my pc could not boot windows! My motherboard is ASUS P7H55-M LX LGA 1156 Intel H55 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard and my system is 32bit. Can I solve this?

rdave13 19:27 21 Dec 14

Run the Crucial ram scan here. Possibly you would be better off with a matched pair of 4GB sticks. See what it finds and you might consider returning the stick you bought as not compatible.

Secret-Squirrel 19:34 21 Dec 14

" Can I solve this?"

Sadly, no. Your motherboard manual states that 4GB is the maximum sized memory module that can be used so that's why it's not working with that single 8GB one you bought.

Send it back and get two 4GB ones as suggested by Dave.

Subdux 19:36 21 Dec 14

Is it possible to return it if I have opened it?I saw a conversation about this topic and some people said something about upgrading BIOS and also changing the motherboard's max mhz or something...

Secret-Squirrel 19:43 21 Dec 14

".........some people said something about upgrading BIOS"

There are three BIOS updates available but none of them say that it'll enable you to use 8GB modules.

By the way, I've just spotted that you're running 32-bit Windows so the maximum amount of memory it will see is roughly 3.2GB so you'll be wasting your money with an 8GB upgrade. Send it back and get two 2GB modules instead.

Subdux 19:55 21 Dec 14

I know that,but I was planning to install windows 7 64bit,after the upgrade.My cpu is 64bit capable

rdave13 20:27 21 Dec 14
Answer

Subdux if your CPU is 64-bit capable then you have your answer. You'll need to send the 8GIG module back in the same packaging as neat as you can and explain it is incompatible with your motherboard. Hopefully the seller will acknowledge this and refund. I think it should be you who bears the cost of returning it.

Otherwise good luck on upping the ram and the OS, which will require a fresh install.

Subdux 20:46 21 Dec 14

if i install an 64bit OS will it be compatible?Also is this gpu:GIGABYTE GEFORCE GTX750 TI GV-N75TOC-2GI 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E compatible with my motherboard?

rdave13 20:57 21 Dec 14

if i install an 64bit OS will it be compatible? No, as the motherboard's sockets will only recognise up to 4GB modules.

As for the GPU card as long as you have a 400 Watt PSU you should be good to go.

Subdux 21:30 21 Dec 14

Alright thanks man!

Subdux 21:32 21 Dec 14

OH one last thing,my psu says 450w max,what does that mean?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant