Upgrading RAM

blocker11 13:21 04 Sep 09

I currently have 2 x 256MB DDR PC2100, and feel it's about time to upgrade to something newer.

I've used a website which has recommended 2 x 1 GB DDR PC2700.

How do i know if the recommended RAM is compatible?

Where's the best place to get RAM from?

Sorry but my knowledge is limit.

GaT7 13:31 04 Sep 09

What's your motherboard make & model number. Run SIW click here (standalone) to check. Look under Hardware > Motherboard.

Run Crucial's scanner too click here.

Once to return with the above info, we'll tell you where to get RAM from. G

blocker11 13:33 04 Sep 09

Thanks, i shall do the above when i get home and post as soon as possible.

blocker11 12:27 07 Sep 09

Motherboard Detail -

Manufacturer MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD
Model MS-6738

Crucial Scanner Results -

# Maximum Memory Capacity: 2048MB
# Currently Installed Memory: 512MB
# Available Memory Slots: 0
# Total Memory Slots: 2
# Dual Channel Support: No
# CPU Manufacturer: AuthenticAMD
# CPU Family: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2000+ Model 8, Stepping 0
# CPU Speed: 1666 MHz

Hope this is all the right information.

Thanks

GaT7 17:21 07 Sep 09

Well, it does look like 2x1Gb PC2700 will be the best you could go for.

How much was that site offering their RAM for? Crucial will cost you ~£60 click here, which is a bit much.

£46 for equivalent RAM off Play click here. G

GaT7 17:23 07 Sep 09

Branded Corsair RAM will cost you £48 from 7dayshop click here, & is recommended over Play's 'generic' stuff. G

DieSse 17:36 07 Sep 09

The motherboard manual says that your motherboard will support 2 x DDR RAM modules up to PC2700.

This is the Crucial UK page showing compatible RAM for your motherboard.

Personally I would disregard their recommendation for PC3200 RAM, and stick with what the manual says is the maximum PC2700 (same price, shown in the lower section.)

Crucial are a good place to buy from - (It's a Micron company) - other good makes are Kingston, Hynix, Infineon, Corsair, OCX, Samsung. Don't buy unbranded or strage brands you've not heard of - they won't be Grade1, and in the long run it doesn't pay. Crucial will give you a good guarantee of working - so will some other sources.

GaT7 17:47 07 Sep 09

"Personally I would disregard their recommendation for PC3200 RAM, and stick with what the manual says is the maximum PC2700 (same price, shown in the lower section.)" - I would agree, as I've had experience of PC3200 RAM not working in a DDR motherboard, while in theory there shouldn't be any problem really.

blocker11, the Corsair RAM I linked to earlier will be a good choice. If that's a bit too expensive for you, get a single 1Gb module (leaving a slot free for the future) or 2x512Mb modules click here for £24. G

DieSse 17:57 07 Sep 09

Apologies for lack of link

click here

Which is the same route as Crossbows anyway.

It took me a bit longer to look it up!

The Corsair price looks good - personally I wouldn't touch the unbranded RAM from Play - and even though it's a bit dearer, you might get a tad better peace of mind buying from Crucial.

GaT7 18:00 07 Sep 09

I've purchased from both those retailers in the past & they've been excellent. G

blocker11 18:28 07 Sep 09

Thanks for all the responses.

1 further question, How much difference will i see in the running of my machine? (Will it run faster or just allow to run more programs)

Thanks Again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced