UPGRADING RAM

rsedw 12:46 15 Oct 08

I have just bought some new RAM memory for my Dell Inspiron computer to upgrade the RAM to 2GB.
It was supplied as having 1GB RAM.
I have noticed that the new memory has a different speed to the old, which I have removed.
Can I also reinstall my old RAM to give me 3GB as they are different or would I have to get some more memory to match the new 2GB?
I have two spare slots for this memory.
The computer is running Windows XL Media Centre.
Thank you all for your help.

wee eddie 12:48 15 Oct 08

Although the question, and it's posting Time, is almost identical

T I M B O 12:52 15 Oct 08

No, not ideal, should all be the same. you should have 4 slots with 2 diffrent coloured slots too, if you have 2 x 1 gig sticks, then put 1 gig in the slot thats closest to the cpu and the other ram stick in the other same coulourd slot. Hope that makes sense lol

Best of luck......

MAJ 12:53 15 Oct 08

Different makes of memory modules can sometimes conflict with eachother, but equally, they can work together without problems. The only way to be sure how your new memory will work with your old memory, is to try it out. If the modules work together without problems, then you will have the problem of speed, all modules will work at the speed of the slowest module, which I presume is your old memory.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…