upgrading ram

Linkychain 19:46 29 May 07

I have Dell Dimension 3000 2.8 GHZ Pentium 4, with 2*256 333 Mhz DDR SDRAM. I want to upgrade to 1GB but wonder whether there are cheaper deals than the Kingstons advertised by Dell. 4 questions: Do I have to have SDRAM or are other types of RAM OK (I don't know the difference)? Do I have to stick to 333 MHZ RAM - I note that some versions of the same computer seem to have 400 MHZ? Can I do this in stages, replacing one 256MB with one 512 MB at a time? Is this as easy as I am told or is there something else I have to worry about...?
Any suggestions as to where to buy more cheaply?
Thanks for any help.

FreeCell 20:16 29 May 07

Try Crucial. Run the System SCanner and it will list the options for your PC and tell you what is fitted at the moment.

Yes you need SDRAM.
Yes you can buy RAM with a higher speed (higher than 333MHz) but it may alny run at the lower speed governed by your motherboard.
Yes you can buy a stick at a time and mix 256MB and 512 MB (Note some PCs require matched pairs of RAM but think Crucial will indicate this if it applies)

With RAM "cheapest" isn't always best, Crucial are good quality and service and competitive price. Kingston have good reputation also.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017