Upgrading RAM

Paul33 13:30 16 Mar 07

I want to upgrade one of my old PCs from 512mb RAM to 1GB.

I ran the test from the Crucial website and it told me that both slots will handle up to 1GB each so I was happy that an upgrade was possible.

Unfortunately the Crucial software couldn;t tell me exactly what RAM was needed as the diagnostics had failed to identify motherboard details.

I ran Belarc and all it tells me is that it is NEC Computers International 00000001, System S/N A123456789, Chasis S/N 50424E ...... which doesn't help me much !

It's a Packard Bell case but I have no documented details of what is inside.

I decided to take out the existing RAM and noted it stated "256MB DDR 266MHz CL2.5" so I bought a couple of 512MB sticks off ebay with identical data on but when I installed them, the PC just makes a beeping noise and the monitor states "bo signal".

I put the old sticks back in and all is fine so clearly I must have got something wrong somewhere !!!

Can anybody help or is this just an impossible one to resolve ?

MAJ 13:36 16 Mar 07

Give Crucial a phone with the details, it's freephone and they'll be able to sort you out with the correct memory. 0800 013 0330

moorie- 13:40 16 Mar 07

on the crucial site if the on line scanner doesnt work,download the cpuz link from their site as they will ask you for info that it generates,sorry cant help you with the ebay ones may have something to do with high density chips?

citadel 18:22 16 Mar 07

there is usaually info written on the motherboard giving it's maker and number.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…