Upgrading RAM

mogwai 17:50 12 Dec 04

Hi,
I want to upgrade my RAM only someone said to me it has to be the same speed as my current RAM. I have got DDR RAM and thought this was meant to synchronise with the CPU anyway? So does it matter what type of RAM i put in my PC now and how do exactly do i find out what speed my current installed RAM is?

Rayuk 18:19 12 Dec 04

Download and run Everest to find out your ram and also motherboard then take a trip to Crucial UK.
Everest click here

Crucial click here

moh23 18:26 12 Dec 04

try spot on computers they are quite good price wise,if you take out one of your ram sticks all the info you need should be on it

Mr Mistoffelees 18:44 12 Dec 04

If new ram is not exactly right for your motherboard it will simply not work and could stop your pc from booting at all or, if it will still boot, make it very unstable. I strongly recommend you find out exactly what motherboard you have and follow Rayuk's link to Crucial to buy your new ram.

mogwai 18:54 12 Dec 04

OK I d/led Everest and the info Ive got is:
Field Value
System Memory 512 MB (DDR SDRAM)

OK I was given 128mb of RAM by a friend, Ill write what is on the label I would appreciate if you guys can decipher exactly what it all means, and if its compatible with what Ive got?!

Value RAM KVR133X64C3/128

Thanks for all your help :-)

mogwai 19:03 12 Dec 04

Field Value
Motherboard Name Hewlett-Packard HP d530 CMT(DG063A)

Rayuk 17:24 13 Dec 04

If you go back in Everest under Motherboard>SPD It should tell you the rating of the memory 133/266 etc

Rayuk 17:27 13 Dec 04

Tells you what you what to know about your friends memory
click here

This is SDRAM

Totally-braindead 18:28 13 Dec 04

Good advice from the others there, I agree totally with what they say about going to Crucial to check what memory is compatible. My computer is based on a Gigabyte GA7VAXP and is very touchy about what memory it uses as I discovered when I got some cheap memory which was meant to be compatible, basically it didn't work. You could just try the memory and see what happens since you already have it, if anything weird starts happening then just remove it again.

mogwai 19:59 13 Dec 04

OK thanks alot everyone, you have been a great help as always

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…