Upgrading Question

morgueman 15:39 22 Mar 08

Hello all, i have a GeForce 6200 card and was thinking of upgrading to GeForce 8600 GT 256MB. I have a asus motherboard (cant find what type excately)! Also had a look at XFX GeForce 8500 GT Fatal1ty 512 MB card, this any good?
If i get either card would i need a new motherboard? Also i have a AMD Athlon 64 3200 processor. I was thinking of upgrading that, but not sure to what, would still like to keep with AMD. If i done that would i also need to improve the power supply ( dont know what i've got at the moment!
Thanks for any help anyone can cime up with,
morgueman

jono366 15:58 22 Mar 08

you need to know what you have just now to see what you need to get to upgrade. Open case and find M/B model number and find out if it is AGP or PCI-E graphics. As for what card to get..... you get what you pay for.

brundle 16:00 22 Mar 08

Use this click here, you'll still need to check your PSU output.

morgueman 16:09 22 Mar 08

I've got an AGP at the moment but would like to go to PCI, think thats the more common type nowadays! I'm on a laptop at the moment, not my main pc so cant run that link, but will do it later.

citadel 17:34 22 Mar 08

pci and pci express are different, if you want a pci expess card you will need a new motherboard. this normally means new cpu and memory as well.
in fact you will be better off getting a new base unit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…