Upgrading Question

@Home 14:16 12 Jan 05

I thinking of upgrading my graphics card from a GFORCE FX 5200 128 MB DDR
to an

If anyone could help me out with the following questions I would be grateful:

1st Would I notice an improvement? Not just with games but in general day-to-day computing e.g. Internet – Office Work etc

2nd Are their alternatives I could consider? I am using a Soltek Motherboard not too sure if ATI are compatible with them

3rd I only occasionally play games, so would I be wasting my money & time changing my G Card

@Home 14:42 12 Jan 05

Any opinions?

Noelg23 14:54 12 Jan 05

unless ur an avid gamer and want decent looking graphics then I would advise not to get a graphics card like that...cos u dont play games that much so I wouldnt really go for it...but its up to u mate...

LeadingMNMs 14:55 12 Jan 05

I would personally think that it would be a waste of time, although I'm no expert on graphics cards. Providing that the games you play aren't the very latest, then its unlikely that you will notice any difference between the cards performance.

Jeffers22 15:00 12 Jan 05

As said above, if you are not going to play the latest games then you would just be wasting your money as you willl see NO difference in everyday computing. Unless that is, you run your screen of DVI - it is definitely a bit sharper than analogue. But that probably means a new monitor too I guess.

Totally-braindead 15:12 12 Jan 05

For general day to day computing you'll notice no difference its a waste of money. Its a good graphics card don't get me wrong but if you're not a gamer then you'll see no difference. If you want to improve your desktop graphics then check your monitor is set to at least 75hz and/or consider a new monitor if yours isn't too good.

@Home 15:27 12 Jan 05

So sorry wrong card

I meant this one 256MB XFX GeForce 6800 GT

Same questions apply

StuPC-2004 15:49 12 Jan 05

Without wishing to hijack the thread - can anyone briefly tell me what difference the 75Hz setting makes, as I have no idea...

Totally-braindead 15:55 12 Jan 05

I'll explain this as best I can and someone more knowledgable can correct me or explain it better. The refresh rate is the speed at which the CRT monitor refreshes itself, hence refresh rate, the more times it does this the better for your eyes, up to a point I suppose. Even though you may not notice the screen changing, if you have a refresh rate set of 60hz say then you'll encounter problems such as eye stain, headaches and the like. If its above 75hz then you don't have these problems.

Totally-braindead 15:58 12 Jan 05

@Home regarding the different card, same comments apply. And further to what I said about refresh rates even with your monitor set to above 75hz its still a good idea to take a break from the computer at regular intervals to avoid problems.

@Home 22:27 12 Jan 05

I am not using a CRT I'm using a Sony 24" TFT monitor.

Anyone else got any views on the Graphics Card?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…