Upgrading PSU; problems and considerations

El_Dangeroso 10:19 29 Dec 06

Hi there,

I'm in the process of upgrading my PC, in particular my graphics card. I've been kindly advised both, on this forum, and elsewhere on the internet, that I need a PSU with greater power.

Currently I have:
- P4 1.7Mhz
- 1GB Ram
- Windows XP
- CD drive
- DVD drive
- floppy drive
- 300W PSU

I'll be upgrading from a 64MB graphics card to a 256MB card, probably an XFX Nvidia 6800GS, or an XFX Nvidia 7600GS.

Is changing a PSU a simple matter? Do I simply need to upgrade to a unit of around 450W, or will a PSU with a greater value have adverse effects on the rest of my system? Is the act of changing a PSU a relatively simple one. I would welcome any advice you have.

Many thanks

Taff™ 10:26 29 Dec 06

You obviously need a PSU that is the same size as current and the same form factor - post back the details of your current one.

Replacing is relatively simple. Just disassemble the existing one making a note of where the different leads go to. You can`t really go wrong because the connectors are different for each type of supply.

El_Dangeroso 10:40 29 Dec 06

According to the sticker on the side of the PSU, I have a HEC-300LR-PT. Is that helpful?

I'm aprehensive of disassembling the unit. Looking at the PSU now, with numberous wires fed inside the box through one 'hole', fills me with trepidation. I guess, once you open up the PSU's casing things become a lot more clear?

birdface 11:34 29 Dec 06

I think what taff means is there will be 3or 4 different leads that have to be disconected from computer,You just take old PSU out ,And new one fits in,Just a matter of putting leads into right sockets,You dont go inside PSU to do this,

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:44 29 Dec 06

If renewing a PSU check:

1. The physical size of your PSU, some are hard to replace due to being a non standard size.
2. The amount of power need from the PSU don't skimp

1. Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

# ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.
# Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.
# MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.
# Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

The quality of a power supply can be estimated by its weight. While this is not a true scientific or thorough measurement of the power supply reliability, it is nevertheless a very simple and easy way for ordinary PC users to estimate and compare the quality of a power supply.

2. Power supply calculator click here

Guide to changing PSU
click here
click here

birdface 12:05 29 Dec 06

At least I think thats how you do it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Best iMovie for Mac tips 2017 | How to edit video with iMovie: 26 brilliant video editing tricks…