Upgrading processor

Sparky3327 08:14 26 Feb 03

I currently run an Athlon 900Mhz but want to upgrade to an Athlon 2000, which ofcourse requires a new motherboard. Should there be any conflicts or problems I should be aware of?
I run XP and also want to double my memory to 256Mb.
I'm hoping it's going to be easy but you never know......
Cheers,
Grezza

First, the motherboard should present no problems and there should be no conflicts with any of your exisiting kit with a modern board.

As to memory, with prices as low as £24.00 for 256Mb DDR PC2700 go for 512Mb you wont regret it.

click here

As for CPU try Komplett:
AMD XP2000 £62.68 including VAT (If you find cheaper let me know!!)

click here

vaughan007 08:32 26 Feb 03

Not sure how many memory slots your motherboard has. But here is my advice on the ram. If you can afford to do so buy a 512mb stick for one of your slots and move your old ram to the other slot(this can be done with XP). This means that if you want to upgrade your memory in the future you can just buy another 512mb stick to replace your original (smaller) memory stick. Rather than having to buy two new sticks to replace both the old ones in order to boost your memory.

Hope this makes sense.

powerless 08:38 26 Feb 03

"I currently run an Athlon 900Mhz but want to upgrade to an Athlon 2000, which ofcourse requires a new motherboard."

Not necessarily, what motherboard do you have?

click here and downlaod and install, this will tell you your motherboard if you do not know.

Sparky3327 09:23 26 Feb 03

Smiffy: the prices I have are marginally dearer, so I'm gonna check out your links, thanks!

Vaughan007: that'a great advice, I think I'll do that, thanks!

Powerless: according to the motherboard manual the processor can only be increased to a 950,hence my message. But thanks for your help, anyway.

Grezza.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…