Upgrading Processor

ivesy 13:31 13 Feb 05

I have a 2.6 MHZ P4. I have just ran a program called 'Fresh Diagnose' which says the motherboard I have can take a processor upto 3.6mhz. It has a socket 478 and the BIOS is Award Modular v6.00PG. Later this year I was thinking of selling up and upgrading as I didn't realise I could just add another processor this has made me think twice about it. My only worry is how I do it! Is it quite an easy process? I've recently installed extra memory and that went ok , while I'm on about memory is there anything I need to change in the BIOS or windows? Finally does anyone know where the cheapest place is to get a P4 3.6 processor? any help as usual would be greatly appreciated!

TomJerry 13:40 13 Feb 05

If you do for Celeron, it will be no problem. But I doubt any performace mprovement if your P4 is real P4 not P4 Celeron. You can check out Ebuyer and overclockers

If you want realy P4, you may not able to find anything because your motherboard may only support "old" Northwood P4, not "new" Precott P4.

It is almost impossible to find any Northwood P4 now. So you need to go to your motherboard's manufacturer's web site to see if it support "Prescott"

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:42 13 Feb 05

To be truthful I doubt if mere mortals would notice the difference. If I were in your position I would whack in as much RAM as your MB can take....you will notice this difference.

G

TomJerry 13:46 13 Feb 05

but make sure your motherboard FSB frequency support 800MHz before you buy it.

It is not difficult to do.

Intel Pentium 4 Northwood 3.0GHz SKT478 FSB800 512KB Cache OEM Processor £117 click here (make sure you buy a good compitable heatsink and fan becuase OEM version does not have them)

Intel Pentium 4 "Northwood" 3.4GHz (800FSB) with HT Technology - OEM (CP-049-IN) £211 (again OEM version) click here

ivesy 13:54 13 Feb 05

Thanks for the help!

Totally-braindead 14:00 13 Feb 05

Before you do anything else I'd find out exactly what motherboard you have and make sure it'll actually take a faster processor. I'd never take a programs word that I could upgrade the CPU. Check what board you have, check what processor it can take and then go looking.

Totally-braindead 14:07 13 Feb 05

Meant to say, this well tell you make model of your motherboard click here all you have to do then is got to the manufacturers website and see what they say.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…