Upgrading processor

Ian-214493 16:35 12 Dec 03

Hi i am using a compaq deskpro ep series with a pentium 2 running win98 and was wandering if i could upgrade my processor without changing the mother board. if i need to change the board what do i go for. some advice would be greatly appreciated.Pilly

LeadingMNMs 16:42 12 Dec 03

click here for a choice of motherboard, cpu and ram kits that could be used to upgrade your current system. I would have thought that your motherboard would be incompatible with the majority of todays CPUs and any CPU that does would probably not offer much more. you will have to check that a new motherboard will fit in your existing case though, as most have onboard USB whereas yours may not.

Someone else maybe able to give you some more advice.

Diemmess 16:44 12 Dec 03

A worthwhile upgrade will involve not only a new motherboard but RAM and PSU at the very least.

The obvious remark - Have you thought of a new (box only) computer. There are many many out there all competing for your money?

If you are determined to stay with a simpler conversion it may not be as cheap or easy as you hope. The case may be unsuitable (Compac do things their way) and so it goes on.

dth 16:44 12 Dec 03

not really worth upgrading - you would be better off buying a new p/c box and keeping your screen and printer etc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…