Upgrading a PC — where to buy?

Senile Syd 20:35 09 Nov 04

I'm about to shell out some cash on an upgrade base unit — or perhaps a complete system if I can find one with a good 17" TFT monitor that won't break the bank.

I don't do games, so a top-end system would be irrelevant, even if I could afford one. Also I don't do any video-editing at present, although I might have a go at some point in the future. I get through a fair amount of photo-editing in connection with my website (which consists almost entirely of image-mapped photographs) and I also do a bit of music composition. That's about it really, except for e-mail, webcam chats with family overseas, and general browsing. So I reckon I don't need an ultra-fast processor or a whizz-bang state-of-the-art graphics card, and I can live without cutesy LEDs on my cooling fans. I do need adequate RAM (512MB minimum) and HD capacity (120GB minimum); a decent sound card and speakers; expansion facilities; good build quality, and reliable components from reputable manufacturers. Also (call me old-fashioned) it would be nice to take delivery on the day promised, and to have access to a genuinely helpful local-rate helpline manned by polite people who know what they're talking about.

I've made a shortlist of four potential suppliers, namely JAL, Evesham, Dell and Carrera. JAL are favourite at the moment, partly on the basis of favourable reviews (admittedly from a year or two ago) and partly because they offer complete software on CD-ROM while the others include only an OS recovery disk as far as I can see.

I'd like very much to hear from anyone with recent experience of any of these suppliers.

TIA

Cook2 21:05 09 Nov 04

Try click here You can choose Barebone, upgrade or components.

I've built a couple from here and the service is first class.

polish 21:15 09 Nov 04

micro direct savastore cclcomputers all offer good prices wise to look around for best offers even if you use more than one site

Diodorus Siculus 21:23 09 Nov 04

My preference would be novatech.co.uk - excellent service and good prices.

swapper 22:27 09 Nov 04

have a look at this small company, and its record click here I think you will get a custom built pc for a very reasonable cost, plus all the installation disks.

User-312386 08:36 10 Nov 04

I use Nethighstreet click here there helpline is an 0845 number and they delivered on the day as promised

I had a problem with my mouse and with no quibbles they sent me a new one. My cd-rom drive failed after 8 months and all i had to do was send the old one back and by return they sent me a new one out.

If you look at the link that i put down, you can customise your PC to how you want it and you get the FULL XP disc

Senile Syd 11:04 10 Nov 04

Thanks, everyone. There's enough good info here to keep me busy for a few days.

Noelg23 11:19 10 Nov 04

also you might want to try click here

Senile Syd 14:27 03 Dec 04

Forgot to click the Resolved box. Thanks for all advice

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This poetic animation about monsters is illustrated in a Van Gogh painterly style

Apple predictions 2017