Upgrading a PC — where to buy?

Senile Syd 20:35 09 Nov 04

I'm about to shell out some cash on an upgrade base unit — or perhaps a complete system if I can find one with a good 17" TFT monitor that won't break the bank.

I don't do games, so a top-end system would be irrelevant, even if I could afford one. Also I don't do any video-editing at present, although I might have a go at some point in the future. I get through a fair amount of photo-editing in connection with my website (which consists almost entirely of image-mapped photographs) and I also do a bit of music composition. That's about it really, except for e-mail, webcam chats with family overseas, and general browsing. So I reckon I don't need an ultra-fast processor or a whizz-bang state-of-the-art graphics card, and I can live without cutesy LEDs on my cooling fans. I do need adequate RAM (512MB minimum) and HD capacity (120GB minimum); a decent sound card and speakers; expansion facilities; good build quality, and reliable components from reputable manufacturers. Also (call me old-fashioned) it would be nice to take delivery on the day promised, and to have access to a genuinely helpful local-rate helpline manned by polite people who know what they're talking about.

I've made a shortlist of four potential suppliers, namely JAL, Evesham, Dell and Carrera. JAL are favourite at the moment, partly on the basis of favourable reviews (admittedly from a year or two ago) and partly because they offer complete software on CD-ROM while the others include only an OS recovery disk as far as I can see.

I'd like very much to hear from anyone with recent experience of any of these suppliers.

TIA

Cook2 21:05 09 Nov 04

Try click here You can choose Barebone, upgrade or components.

I've built a couple from here and the service is first class.

polish 21:15 09 Nov 04

micro direct savastore cclcomputers all offer good prices wise to look around for best offers even if you use more than one site

Diodorus Siculus 21:23 09 Nov 04

My preference would be novatech.co.uk - excellent service and good prices.

swapper 22:27 09 Nov 04

have a look at this small company, and its record click here I think you will get a custom built pc for a very reasonable cost, plus all the installation disks.

User-312386 08:36 10 Nov 04

I use Nethighstreet click here there helpline is an 0845 number and they delivered on the day as promised

I had a problem with my mouse and with no quibbles they sent me a new one. My cd-rom drive failed after 8 months and all i had to do was send the old one back and by return they sent me a new one out.

If you look at the link that i put down, you can customise your PC to how you want it and you get the FULL XP disc

Senile Syd 11:04 10 Nov 04

Thanks, everyone. There's enough good info here to keep me busy for a few days.

Noelg23 11:19 10 Nov 04

also you might want to try click here

Senile Syd 14:27 03 Dec 04

Forgot to click the Resolved box. Thanks for all advice

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…