Upgrading PC: RAM / Clockspeed advice

TheGoodWord 00:26 AM 07 Nov 12

Hey hey, in a bit of a quandary here, would appreciate some advice.

I'm on the look-out for a new laptop, and I want to check that the one I have in mind isn't going to cause me a lot of issues in terms of being much slower than my current machine. The machine I'm eyeing up is exactly what I'm looking for in almost every respect wise, just a little concerned about the Clock speed.

My current set-up is a Toshiba Satellite laptop, with an Intel Pentium CPU P6200 @ 2.13GhHz, 4GBRAM (Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium). Speed-wise, it's about right for my needs.

The machine I want is a Samsung Ultrabook - Intel Core i5 3317U 1.7GHz 6GB RAM (Windows 8 Home Premium).

Now, I understand that the clock-speed is slower on the latter, but with more RAM and a different processor, I'm not entirely sure how much of an effect this will have overall.

Bear in mind I'm not a gamer, but I will likely have maybe 3 desktop applications open at any given time (Maybe Thunderbird, Convo, Tweetdeck and possibly Photoshop or something else). I will usually have both Firefox and Chrome open, with multiple tabs open in each, though normally I won't be streaming video or anything, just have Web open such as Google Reader, Gmail, and such like.

Based on this information, do you think I'll notice much in a speed drop with the new machine?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday deals & best UK Black Friday tech…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

HDR video: Everything you need to know

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know