Upgrading PC

taipan 16:29 07 Jun 04

I currently have a 1.4 AMD processor with 60 gig hard drive and 512mb of RAM running Windows ME.

I'm looking to up grade to 1gb of RAM as well as getting a better processor and a hard drive of 80gb or maybe 120. Only problem is I don't know how to install any of this.

PC World are offering a service where they will carry out all the upgrades for you but the upgrades need to be purchased from them.

Anyone think this would be a good idea?

Are their prices not on the dear side?

My ideal scenario would be a motherboard with everything on it so I could buy it knowing all the parts were compatible.

I plan to do this in the summer I should have over £400 to spend.

So can anyone give me some examples a good system.

Thanks in advance

SANTOS7 16:46 07 Jun 04

click here if you plan to build yourself this may help as for PC World personally wouldn't go there, if you want good advice i would recomend your high street computer store go there with your budget and what you want to build or upgrade. hope this helps, good luck

tnt115 16:48 07 Jun 04

I got a system for under 400 pounds

This is ONLY the BASE UNIT nothing else
Specs are

AMD Barton Processor 2800+
80 GB Serial ATA
128MB Card Nvidia 8X AGP
CD Rom 52x
Gigabyte Motherboard

This is a custom bulit pc

from this website click here

Good Luck

rickf 16:54 07 Jun 04

TRy also click here LOts to choose from including full systems at reasonable prices and motherboards with CPU, H/S and memory if you want to build yourself. All tested before they are despatched.

cream. 16:58 07 Jun 04

If you still wish to use M.E. then it would not be necessary to up your ram to 1gig. The maximum recommended for M.E. is 512Mb and with a tweak it can go to 768Mb.

If you would like to run a gig of memory, then think of upgrading your operating system to X\P.

taipan 17:02 07 Jun 04

Yeah thanks for the heads up but I was planning on upgrading to XP anyway.

I found a site called Gingerpcs.co.uk which build base units. Looks good has anyone used them ?

Rayuk 18:07 07 Jun 04

You could sell your present pc and add the £s towards your new one.

spuds 18:56 07 Jun 04

Before you open the case, take a video course from click here

freedough 19:16 07 Jun 04

try staples uk 20% of for teachers/

freedough 19:16 07 Jun 04

try staples uk 20% of for teachers/

Dorsai 19:32 07 Jun 04

I have ME. Would like 768Mb. What is the tweek please?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…