Upgrading an old Toshiba laptop to Win98SE

Chas 23:11 01 Dec 04

A friend has an inherited Tosh laptop (Satellite pro 480CDT)which he wants to use as an interface to a sound server (and type the occasional letter at the end of the garden). It's currently on Win95 but the interface (to sound server) software requires win98 minimum. I undertook to upgrade it to win98SE, but attempts to do so result in an error message which states I should be using a win98SE upgrade CD rather than the full install CD that I have to hand. These are a bit rare now. Can anyone offer some advice on how I should proceed, short of a full reformat and rebuild. I'm pretty sure the original win95 software is OEM, as is the CD I'm trying to use to upgrade it. Unfortunately the machine doesn't have enough beef for XP, with only 128mb of memory and 2Gbytes of disk.

woodchip 23:19 01 Dec 04

You need to format the C:\Drive and reload the full Win98 disc He will loose all on the Drive this is the Command after Starting with Setup flopy disc.

A:\>format C:

The CD drive letter will change from D:\ to E:\ after you restart with the Floppy and choose start with CD rom support

woodchip 23:20 01 Dec 04

So to setup it would be

E:\Setup

Jeffers22 23:45 01 Dec 04

If you don't want to lose all the data, all you have to do is boot to DOS and rename the windows folder to say 95Folder. Reboot to DOS again - using a 98 boot floppy - and insert the 98CD and install as per normal.

If you want you can then boot to either 98 or 95 by merely doing a bit of renaming of the windows folders in DOS. If you should so desire that is, if not merely delete the 95Folder.

Jeffers22 23:52 01 Dec 04

There is no need to reformat. In many cases reformatting is overkill - and costly in terms of time and data loss. It is all too often suggested as a solution (and indeed it will do the trick)

By the way, if you want to get rid of the 20 second egg timer after 98 boots, replace systray.exe with the 95 version - it's better written. You will need to do it from DOS.

jack 08:31 02 Dec 04

There is a way to remove the O/S and retain the data without a reformat and then put in the new O/S. You do however loose the programs -as you might expect because the registery goes too.
It is a lengthy doc that I prepared from a PCA artical a couple of years back.
Needs a bit is DOS work.
Too long to repro here - if you are interested will
E-mail it to you -send me a mail to confirm you would like it.

Chas 09:24 07 Dec 04

Thanks for the win.com renaming tip - worked splendidly. However (and not unexpectedly) none of the previously installed programmes work now. This isn't an issue, but can I safely delete the contents of C:\Programme Files? Furethermore, I now appear to have two Windows folders - the original and a new one created by the upgrade called Windows.000. 98 is very protective about the latter but does not give the same warning mesages about messing with the former. Is there anything in there I need or can I safely delete it?

So far, though, so good. Thanks everyone for the input to date.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…