Upgrading old IBM 386/486 - hard drive problem

Never again 14:06 14 May 03

I am having a go upgrading an old pc given to a friend which only had a scsi 170mb hard drive.

I have a redundant 630 mb ide drive which obviously does not fit the scsi ribbon cable. I cant see any other suitable connector on the motherboard - only a smallish one for the a: drive and this has a spare connector which is is 2 pins short of the hard drive connector.

Am I barking up the wrong tree?

He also wants a cd drive fitted as well - so do I have to look for a scsi cd drive?

Gongoozler 16:20 14 May 03

If you have a spare PCI slot, you can probably use a PCI IDE card such as the Maxtor one from Dabs. this should also overcome the BIOS hard drive size limitation: click here

The following link to the relevant Maxtor knowledgebase article may work if it doesn't get corrupted by conversion to a "Click here"

click here*&p_li=

an old 386 wont have any pci slots, you will need to track down an ide card as gongoozler says but for an ISA slot, buying one new would cost a ridiculously large amount of money, try tracking down a second hand one,

for the money and trouble involved you had just as well buy an old P1(586) that will set you back about 50 quid , which will probably have a larger hard drive and a cd-rom, i hate throwing things away but sometimes its just not viable to keep hanging on. H

Never again 07:16 15 May 03

Thanks for the advice - I'll let my friend know.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…