Upgrading Old Desktops

seagulls 21:30 02 Feb 05

I recently brought a new desktop to replace my old Tiny machine. My son is using this - mainly for games such as CM4 but I also need the option of using it as a back up should anything go wrong with the new machine.

The Tiny has a PIII 450 MHz processor and came with 128MB SDRam which I have increased to 256. It has a 13Gb UDMA hard disk and a Riva TNT 16Mb AGP graphics card.

Question is what is the best and most cost effective way of upgrading this machine? I want to buy a new monitor and cordless mouse and keyboard for it and obviously increase its speed and storage capacity. I would also want a CD or DVD writer (Currently has CD/DVD reader only). Is it possible/sensible to try and upgrade this machine and if so how? Is it worth asking PC World to service it and suggest upgrades or get a smaller pc shop to have a look?

Alternatively should I just throw it away and buy a cheap new second system and if so what?????

woodchip 21:35 02 Feb 05

New Motherboard and AMD Athlon CPU

wiz-king 21:51 02 Feb 05

Sounds better than the machine I use. Unless you want it for high graphic content games or to store lots of music I would not bother to upgrade!
If you want to have fast gaming or lots of memory then start again, if the machine is out of date, ie more than three years old, it would be easier and cheaper to start again with a new machine and avoid all the hassel of upgading.

woodchip 22:00 02 Feb 05

Motherboard With Sound and Video onboard,

click here

You need DDR ram for this board

CPU click here

Belatucadrus 22:24 02 Feb 05

I'd upgrade the graphics card, nothing OTT and swap your CD/DVD for a CDRW/DVD, or if you've got a spare bay in the case just add a CDR

click here
click here
click here

To increase of speed, you could read the motherboard manual and see if it'll support something faster and then check out e-bay, but it may not be worth it, it depends how much potential it's got for improvement and how much effort you want to put into finding a chip. For extra storage, why not consider an external USB drive, costs a bit more but will be useful through the next few PCs. click here As to getting somebody else to do it, that's a matter of personal choice, I wouldn't even consider it as I like the hands on approach. But if you find the idea that off-putting ask around.

seagulls 10:58 06 Feb 05

Thanks for all the advice guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…