Upgrading to new motherboard -HELP!

christor 17:06 27 Mar 04

Hey all,

Having just been bought a pc with a pretty dire motherboard, I'm considering upgrading it to one that can agpx8, my only worry is that the pc is a hp pc - will there be any problems here is I was to install a new motherboard and just use all the same components? If correctly installed would the cpu, ram, HD etc still work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Cheers.

Paranoid Android 17:24 27 Mar 04

What PC have you got ?

Marvin

Indigo 1 17:48 27 Mar 04
  Rayuk 17:52 27 Mar 04

I would check on whether you can use Windows that came with your pc if you change the motherboard.

christor 18:23 27 Mar 04

I've got a hp t250.uk - it's a p4 2.66ghz, 512ram, 120gb HD. The prob is that I've ot a radeon 9800pro graphics card, but my machine only goes up as far as agpx4 so while the card works, it would be presumably much better with improved agp capablilty - hence the reason for my upgrade.

I only ask all this becasue I was once told that hp/compaq computers were slightly different to normal pc's and since I know little or nothing about pcs, I did not know whether or not this person was telling the truth.

Any more help would be great, cheers.

Rayuk 18:25 27 Mar 04

The difference between 4x and 8x isnt enough to warrant all the trouble and expense you are putting yourself to.

christor 18:34 27 Mar 04

Oh ok,

Cheers for the help anyway.

Paranoid Android 21:44 27 Mar 04

Agree

christor 21:46 27 Mar 04

ta all!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…