Upgrading my Processor and Graphics Card

bluerreyes 14:25 29 Aug 06

I am looking to upgrade both my processor and graphics card and I was wondering can anyone advise me on doing this. Also is it a hard process for changing the processor. Below I have pasted a copy of my pc spec. I am looking to improve my gaming ability so any advice would be great.

Operating System System Model
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 1 (build 2600) Tiny Computers 1.0
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
2.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: Micro Star International PT-2200 1.0
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. Version 07.00T 04/02/01
Drives Memory Modules c,d
196.54 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
111.02 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

_NEC DVD_RW ND-2500A [CD-ROM drive]
IDE DVD-ROM 16X [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

IN-WIN iAPP HS-CF USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 1
IN-WIN iAPP HS-MS USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 2
IN-WIN iAPP HS-SD/MMC USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 4
IN-WIN iAPP HS-SM USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 3
WDC WD2000BB-00FTA0 [Hard drive] (196.59 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WMAEP1880022, rev 15.05R15, SMART Status: Healthy
1024 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot '0' has 512 MB
Slot '1' has 512 MB
Slot '2' is Empty
Slot '3' is Empty
Local Drive Volumes

c: (FAT32 on drive 0) 196.54 GB 111.02 GB free

Network Drives
None detected
Users (mouse over user name for details) Printers

Marks a disabled account; Marks a locked account hp psc 1100 series on USB001

Controllers Display
Standard floppy disk controller
Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]
VIA Bus Master IDE Controller
ALL-IN-WONDER 9200 SERIES [Display adapter]
RADEON 9200 SERIES - Secondary [Display adapter]
HPC LA700 [Monitor] (16.8"vis, March 2004)
Bus Adapters Multimedia
Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller (4x)
ATI WDM Rage Theater Audio
ATI WDM Rage Theater Video
ATI WDM Specialized MVD Codec
ATI WDM Teletext Decoder
ATI WDM TV Audio Crossbar
ATI WDM TV Tuner
Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA (R) Audio Controller
Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device
Communications Other Devices
CNXT V9x PCI Modem

1394 Net Adapter #3
VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
primary Auto IP Address: 192.168.1.64 / 24
Gateway: 192.168.1.254
Dhcp Server: 192.168.1.254
Physical Address: 00:0C:76:7E:B4:6E

Networking Dns Server: 192.168.1.254
VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
HID-compliant consumer control device
USB Human Interface Device
hp psc 1100 series
SNAPSCAN TOUCH
Ideazon PS2 Zboard [Keyboard]
Microsoft USB Wireless Mouse (IntelliPoint)
USB Composite Device
USB Mass Storage Device
USB Printing Support
USB Root Hub (5x)
psc 1100 (DOT4PRINT)

keef66 13:30 30 Aug 06

I can't find your motherboard on the MSI website so I can't say what the fastest processor upgrade might be. Any other description which might help? Did Tiny give the pc a name?

(You might find that in order to add a much faster cpu you'd have to replace the motherboard, then you'd want faster memory as well)

You already have 1gb of ram, so there'd be relatively little benefit in increasing it.

Your graphics card is a major limiting factor; you need something like an Nvidia 7600gs or ATI X1800 (I'm assuming your board has a pci-express graphics slot)or higher if your budget will allow

keef66 13:49 30 Aug 06

OK, I think your board is an MSI K8TM-ILSR (MS-6741). It should be printed on the board, probably between the pci slots.

If so, it will take a socket 754 Athlon 64 up to 3700+
Your current cpu looks like a 3000+, so I'm not sure the upgrade would warrant the cost / effort.

Also if I have ID'd the mobo correctly, it has an AGP 8x graphics slot, so you'd be shopping for AGP versions of an Nvidia 7800GS or an ATI X800GTO

bluerreyes 18:59 01 Sep 06

Hi Keef66 Sorry for my late reply have been away a few days. i am going to open my tower unit up and check my motherboard and then I will get back with the right spec for it. Thanks a lot for your advice its been a real help.

Totally-braindead 19:17 01 Sep 06

To upgrade graphics as long as it has either an AGP or a PCI Express slot is relatively easy. The processor may be a different thing though. If keef66 is correct and this is your motherboard then assumming this is the fastest processor it can take I too do not consider it worth the effort. However a decent graphics card would definatly be a worthwhile investment if you play games.

bluerreyes 19:29 01 Sep 06

Hi again Checked my mother board it is a MS-6741 ver:1. So keef66 what do you reccommend graphics card wise. is agp a better version and if yes why?

Totally-braindead 19:33 01 Sep 06

AGP is not better than PCI Express. But it doesn't matter as you only have a AGP slot. PCI slots and PCI Express slots are completely different if that is what is confusing you.
You need to buy an AGP card. What you now have to decide is how much you wish to spend. You could get somethink like this for example click here reasonable price and will run almost anything though not at the highest settings.

Totally-braindead 19:34 01 Sep 06

somethink = something. Appologies for the poor spelling.

bluerreyes 19:40 01 Sep 06

Hi Totally-brainhead,
what is your opinion on the the card I have installed, shown in the above spec. and what would you reccommend around the £100 mark. Also if i was rolling in money whats the best I can get.
Thanks for sharing you know how with me appreciate it.
Ps. the agp slot, is that the brown one near the pci slots? sorry for the silly questions.

Totally-braindead 19:49 01 Sep 06

Its not a silly question and yes that is the AGP slot. For the money I would be looking for either a 6600GT which I posted a link to earlier or a 7600GS which is a bit better than the 6600GT. Please note that it does make a great deal of difference which card you get. The standard 6600, also called a vanilla 6600 is not anywhere as good as the GT version. It does make a difference. Best card at Novatech for AGP from Nvidia is this click here or perhaps this click here. To be honest with you whatever you get will be an improvement. The 9200 is a poor card nowadays. I would look for a 7600GS. I'm sure someone else will help with advice on ATI equivalent cards.

bluerreyes 19:52 01 Sep 06

If i do change does it matter if I stay with ATI or can I go with any brand of graphics card?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…