upgrading motherboard & processor

leooleo 01:54 04 Nov 03

I'd like to upgrade my processor and motherboard while keaping all the rest. Given I work out what is compatible, would I need to just plug in all the stuff or would I have to touch the bios and reinstall the OS?

thanks.

temp003 03:57 04 Nov 03

The new motherboard will come with its own BIOS.

Just changing the CPU on the same motherboard will not require a reinstallation of Windows, but since you're changing the motherboard, it is a good idea to reinstall Windows (at least a repair reinstallation).

If your version of Windows is 9x, you might be able to get away with not reinstalling Windows, but I still recommend a reinstall.

If your operating system is Windows 2000 or XP, then you definitely need to reinstall.

After changing the motherboard, CPU, and plugging in everything, making sure all jumper settings are correct, start computer and go into BIOS settings and check everything is correctly detected, especially hard disk. Check that the correct CPU is detected. Use the new BIOS's default settings for the time being, unless you need to change anything which has not been correctly detected.

Then before you exit BIOS settings, get ready to start the reinstallation process. If it's Windows 9x, insert your boot floppy. If it's Windows 2000 or XP, put the installation CD in (and make sure that in the boot sequence in BIOS, CDROM comes before the hard disk).

Then exit BIOS settings (and save settings IF you have changed something).

At this stage, computer will reboot from the appropriate medium (boot floppy or CD). Then install Windows over the existing copy (without formatting the C partition). This way, all your programs and data will be intact. But all the Windows system files will be back to the original versions on the installation CD, and you will still have to reinstall all Windows updates.

You also ought to back up important files first on your old setup before you change the motherboard.

Eagie 08:29 04 Nov 03

If your OS is an OEM version of XP then changing your motherboard will invalidate your licence as the OEM licence is for the computer it was installed on only. A new motherboard means in effect a new computer.

Obviously if you have a different version of Windows or the full licence for XP this doesn't matter - but I thought I'd mention it just in case!

leooleo 11:23 04 Nov 03

thanks guys for the advice. I run win ME, but I don't have a cd, just a restore pack and a serial number (is this what OEM means?)this is mostly why I'm worried. Eagie, does this mean I have to buy a new copy of an OS? (hope not!)
Thanks

L.

Doogie Howser 12:37 04 Nov 03

I recently had to replace a dead MOBO. This also meant new RAM and graphics card. I plugged in the old hard drive which was set up as a dual boot system 98SE/XP Pro (98se installed first and then partitioned with PM8.0 to install XP). Could not get 98se to boot but XP pro booted first time with no problems. So I wouldn't entirely agree with temp003 saying you will definitely need to reinstall XP.

Having said that I agree that it is better to reinstall and have done so. I managed to boot 98se in safe mode and run partition magic from there.

Eagie 13:30 05 Nov 03

Sorry I have got back to you quicker Leooleo - I think what I was talking about only refers to XP (I believed they changed the terms of the licence) so you will probably be ok when reinstalling ME.

XP goes through a registration process in which you have to contact Microsoft - either via your modem or by calling them - whereas ME doesn't. Your Restore CD and the serial number should be fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…