Upgrading mother board & cpu on XP system

pwill 19:20 30 Nov 03

I want to upgrade my AMD Athlon 800 system over Xmas. Everything else on the system is recent & upto the job so will I be OK with a new main board & CPU with my oem XP home OS. Is it true I just have to reactivate XP... I will of course reformat & clean install.

Sam Witch 13:23 03 Dec 03

What do you want to reformat for?

read microsoft activation details on click here
shortened - sometimes XP will not require activation if only a couple of the monitored units are changed.

The activation code is made up from -

From microsoft -
What are the 10 hardware characteristics used to determine the hardware hash?

The 10 hardware characteristics used to determine the hardware hash are: Display Adapter, SCSI Adapter, IDE Adapter, Network Adapter MAC Address, RAM Amount Range (i.e. 0-64mb, 64-128mb, etc), Processor Type, Processor Serial Number, Hard Drive Device, Hard Drive Volume Serial Number, CD?ROM / CD-RW / DVD-ROM.

I read somewher that you can change any 2 of the above on up to 4 occasions over a year before you have to reactivate.

From microsoft -
Can hardware components be changed and upgraded?

Product Activation is able to tolerate a certain degree of change in a hardware configuration by allowing a current hash value to have a degree of difference from the hash value that was originally activated. As a result, users can change their hardware without the product believing it is on a different PC than the one it was activated on. If the user completely overhauls the hardware making substantial hardware changes (even over long periods of time), reactivation may be required. In that case, users may need to contact to contact a Microsoft customer service representative by telephone to reactivate.

Sam Witch 13:27 03 Dec 03

if you reformat you will have to activate, but the new system MB and processor should work with the current HD etc, there is less to go wrong if you keep your settings on the drive, eg missing drivers for existing parts. old hot fixes, updates etc.

Jester2K II 13:35 03 Dec 03

You should reinstall windows to avoid clashes with older Motherboard Drivers, IDE Drivers etc.

Whilst it can be done it not advisable.

Re-activating will cause you any trouble. You'll just re-activate as before. If you do need to speak to MS then just tell them you replaced a blown motherboard and upgraded the CPU and they'll give you a new code.

Contrary to popular belief MS are NOT out to get you.

pwill 16:03 03 Dec 03

I'm thinking I should reformat as I've been having trouble with the screen freezing up me. XP self reporting says it's a driver conflict but doesn't say what.
So for that reason I think a fresh install with the new components will be better.
In the last year I've chenged most of the bits XP uses to register its'self (as per the cover disc program, XP info), so with these two major parts changing can I reactivate an oem XP disc... or will I end up with an un-usable vertion of windows?
Part of the problem with crashing I blame on the windows update system. I used to use the Big Fix site with no problems, so I think I'll go back to this for updates.... what do you think on this?

Jester2K II 20:28 03 Dec 03

Don't worry about activation unless you installing on multiple machine with a single licence.

Jester2K II 22:42 03 Dec 03
  james55 23:52 03 Dec 03

I updated from a P111 to a P4 by re-placing my motherboard. Windows Xp then refused to load, so I tried a repair and the only way I could re-activate was by phone. I had no problem with this, but required a clean install for it to work ok. Re-activating over the Internet did not cause any problem.

TECHNODIMWIT 00:06 04 Dec 03

After I built my system the mobo was recalled.
when rebuilt with a different mobo XP wanted to reactivate, I thought the worst when using the web option failed, rang MS no problems all they wanted to know was the first set of digits of my license. they gave me the activation code straight away.

but a clean install is the best way to go, to avoid any conflicts.

mark

pwill 18:53 05 Dec 03

Thanks to all on this one... I feel confident to go ahead with the clean install now over krimbo.

Any thoughts on the MS update site Vs Big Fix updating?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…