upgrading mobo and processor

Fred the flour grader 16:51 27 Nov 04

Hi guys, I am thinking of upgrading my pc and am wondering if I do, after the change will the original hard discs and internet connection still work ?.
Will I have to reformat the drives and re-install Windows and my internet connection software and stuff?.

Any help recieved with thanks...Fred

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:33 27 Nov 04

Original hard disk will work ok

However the opertaing system will have the drivers for the old mother board // sound card // modem //ethernet controller //etc.

These may conflict with your new setup when you first boot the new system.

So boot into safe mode first remove the drivers for the equipment you have upgraded and install your new drivers. Reboot and everything should be ok. If not we are here to help.

Good Luck

Ijustneedanswersplease 17:52 27 Nov 04

Hi - I have done quite a few of these and in most cases no problems providing your system is only a few years old. The mobo should come with an installation disk which will provide the drivers etc for the board. In most cases the disk will go through all processes needed to integrate the new board with windows. The following may also be worth noting:
Check that the new mobo is the right size - some smaller cases will need a micro atx board - and that the power supply in your case is a high enough wattage for the new processor.
Check also that your modem, memory and graphics cards are compatible wth the new mobo.
If you are using winxp you will need to notify Microsoft of the changes (an automatic update proceedure kicks in when xp notices the changes).
Depending on the age of the hard drive and other components, you may find that you also need to upgrade nearly everything else in order to gain any significant improvement in performance.

Hope this helps and good luck ;-)

Fred the flour grader 12:39 28 Nov 04

Thanks for your help guys...not sure if it's worth doing or just replacing the whole pc. It's now five years old and is now really dated compared to the stuff for sale in the adds in PC Advisor.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…