Upgrading from ME to Xp Pro

johnem 21:50 17 Dec 03

I know that there have been many threads about this before but I would appreciate a little help before I finally start the move up.
At present system is 2 1/2 years old and running an AMD 1400 Athlon with 256MB DDR ram and 40 GB HDD.
Apart from backing up all my data and photo files to CD, could someone kindly advise how I can save my various dial up network setups, e-mail accounts, e-mails and addresses for eventual re-installation?
Also is there any drivers etc that I need to download before the upgrade. Wrong phrase, new installation?
Are there any obvious snags that I should look for during the installation?
Is it best to format the "c" drive before starting and once installed, would it be best to create a partition on the HDD and then copy the XP disk to that area?
Sorry that there are lots of questions.

VoG II 21:57 17 Dec 03

Run click here first. It will tell you what hardware and software will/will not function with XP.

If you go for a reformat you will obviously have to backup data. If you do an over-the-top installation, you won't. The consensus here seems to be to reformat but I did an over-the-top and lived to tell the tale!

Taran 22:09 17 Dec 03

For your email accounts, messages and contacts:

Outlook Express software solution click here

Outlook software solutions click here

click here

Or tutorials for manual backup

click here

click here

click here

Drivers will be highlighted if problematic. Windows XP does a compatability check as part of its initial install and tells you about any drivers that need updating or software that may be out of date or require reinstallation once XP has finished setting up.

Your DUN settings are something else. You can manually back them up (I used to just memorise the necessary settings for my various ISPs), or you could request the setup disks from your ISP(s) or visit their sites where you will find detailed instructions on how to manually configure your accounts.

You can back up the registry keys for DUN but frankly, compared to the alternatives above, why give yourself the headaches ?

You get two main options when installing the upgrade of XP. The default that it recommends and ecourages you to accept is an upgrade. You can select a clean install using the advanced options which will also allow you to format the drive (or not if you choose against it) among other things.

click here

click here for two Microsoft articles on how it's all done.

johnem 22:35 17 Dec 03

Thanks VoG and Taran for the superb advise. Will start reasing up at the threads. It seemed like a good idea with a few days holiday looming up!!

johnem 16:20 23 Jan 04

All, well almost all up and running now, just a small niggle with the Outlook dialer, but hey no-one said it would be easy. Thanks for the advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…