Upgrading Laptop RAM

sam1981 11:14 02 Apr 03

I want to upgrade the amount of RAM on a Sony Vaio. Is it just a case of buying some more and installing it just like on a desktop machine, or is it more complicated than that?

Regularly take desktop machines apart, but have never opened up a laptop and don't want to foul it up!

Thanks,
Sam

Bebee 11:26 02 Apr 03

I updated my Acer laptop recently. Much easier than a desktop upgrade. Just find out which little cover underneath hides RAM, take out the screw/s, slot the RAM in and put it back on. Mine was easier because the screw fell out of its own accord and the cover kept falling off anyway - perhaps it was a hint the it was desperate for more RAM.

My main concern was ro make sure it was compatible with Acer. I emailed Microwarehouse to check and they pointed me to the right product numbers. I'm sure other suppliers can be equally helpful.

I added 128 MB to the machines 64. It's made a incredible difference to how the machine runs.

Belatucadrus 11:45 02 Apr 03

click here the crucial manufacturer/model menu should help you drill down to what you need. I upgraded my FIC and like Bebee found it very easy. Do check your user manual though, it should have upgrade instructions in.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…