upgrading laptop hard drive

Parmy 21:49 19 Jan 06

I am thinking about upgrading my laptop's 10gb Hard drive. My laptop is an advent 5471 and the laptop was purchased in 1999. The only thing stopping me from upgrading my laptop hard drive is that I don't know if the laptop will support a larger hard drive such as an 30gb or 40gb hard drive. Any help would be appreciated.

rmcqua 21:52 19 Jan 06

Parmy,
What operating system is your laptop running?

Parmy 11:38 20 Jan 06

The laptop is running Windows XP Pro.

Diemmess 11:52 20 Jan 06

I expect you know better than I do, but would have thought that physical replacement of the HD is a star class difficulty in itself.

I looked at this link and the basic spec seems barely adequate for XP? Not much RAM there.
click here
Is it likely that your laptop started life with an earlier OS? If so that would partly explain the shortage of HD space now.

cyberphobic 13:41 20 Jan 06

As long as the new hard drive's physical dimensions are the same as the existing one, I don't know of any reason why you shouldn't replace the HDD with a larger one - I've done this on several laptops without a problem. You should be able to buy a 30 or 40GB HDD on eBay for about £40. You certainly need to increase the memory on your laptop, 128MB is not enough for XP, if you increase it to at least 256MB or preferably 512MB you will see a real improvement in performance

Diemmess 14:07 20 Jan 06

If the description in my link is valid, it lists 128 Mb fitted, and 192MB as maximum RAM, which made me think this laptop was made before XP was released?

cyberphobic 19:16 20 Jan 06

Not familiar with this particular model, but a lot of older laptops have 64MB OR 128MB on the motherboard and then the facility to add additional memory to bring it up to the max - usually through a port on the base or under the keyboard. Probably was made pre XP loks like some upgrading has already occurred!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…