Upgrading, info required

Citizen Snips 13:26 23 Apr 06

Hello guys,

As the title suggests, I'm looking to upgrade my humble Dell Dimension 2400 into a decent gaming system,and this is an appeal for help from an individual baffled by the sheer vast array of products on offer. my baseline specs stand as:

Dell Dimension 2400:
Pentium 4 2.8 Hz CPU
1024 Mb of RAM PC2700
40 GB Hard Drive
Intel Extreme! Graphics Card,64 Mb
Windows XP patched with Service Pack 2

The key areas I believe I need to upgrade are:

1. The power supply, I only have a 200w supply presently,and in order to support a power hungry GFX card,that will obviously need to go up. So far, I've picked out the Antec True Power 2 550w PSU on the recommendation of a friend more wise in the ways of computers than myself

2. Storage, the low GB capacity of my HD is really holding me back,and wouldn't hold the large installation files of the likes of LOMAC, Battlefield 2, Farcry and so on. I'd aim to upgrade this by at least another GB

3. Graphics card, I'm looking for a decent standard of performance that won't break the bank either,so I'm looking to spend around £150.00 on this all-important part,and have so far picked out a GeForce 7600GT that's within my price bracket. I'm fairly confident I've made a good choice within my criteria,but would appreciate any other feedback you guys would be willing to give on this.

However,what's holding me back is a general lack of information on my system, nowhere can I find anything that clearly states what kind of motherboard I have,and because of this I can't be sure exactly what kind of power supply I would need,and how my motherboard communicates with my HD,thus holding me back in that respect too.

I'd like to close by taking the time to thank those of you who've taken the time to read my incoherent techno babble,and would like to extend my thanks in advance for those of you kind enough to pass down some of your wisdom to a techno-hick like myself,

Cheers, Mike

Totally-braindead 13:31 23 Apr 06

Are you sure it has a graphics card slot eithe AGP or PCI Express but I can't see it in the specification and without it you cannot upgrade the graphics click here

aca 13:32 23 Apr 06

To identify your motherboard try Belarc advisor
click here

Totally-braindead 13:34 23 Apr 06

click here this appears to be an overview of the motherboard. the only thing you could do is buy a PCI graphics card, PCI not PCI Express they are totally different. There are not many PCI cards available and nothing even close to what you have been considering.

Citizen Snips 16:57 23 Apr 06

Oh well, thanks anyway guys,your input has been most appreciated,and has quite frankly saved me quite alot of cash that I may have otherwise squandered on a bunch of what would have turned out to be high-tech paperweights.

I suppose the only question left is the cost ratio of upgrade vs. new system.And I imagine the upgrade path would be quite expensive with having to shell out for a new motherboard

Thanks again, Mike

terryf 17:29 23 Apr 06

You may be confused about HD upgrade, You can't upgrade HD by another GB as your post says, I would suggest that you look for something like 160 GB upwards and install as D drive, then keep all your docs, data, downloads, etc on that. Keep your 40 gb drive for just OS and progs

Totally-braindead 17:44 23 Apr 06

You could upgrade it a bit but you'll never create a real gaming machine with what you have. Without at least an AGP slot you're limited. You would free some of the system memory by installing a PCI graphics card examples of which can be found here click here and here click here > regarding the hard drive theres no real reason you couldn't add one on as a slave to your existing drive if you wish. Whether any of the graphics card would play the likes of the games you mentioned I'm unsure. Battlefield 2 is meant to need a pretty good system.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…