upgrading to IE6 frustrations

stevedunham 21:51 06 Mar 04

After my HD went bang and the fun of reinstalling everything I'm having trouble installing IE6 over IE5, I get the following message on clicking help onceset up has told me it was unable to install all of IE6.
"It appears you have the correct setup files, but the installation failed. Try closing down all other programs and try running Setup again"
I've shut everything down except explorer and systray and tried again but with the same result.
I'm running Win Me with 256mb ram, athalon 600mhz chip
any suggestions

Diodorus Siculus 21:54 06 Mar 04

Sorry, I have no answer, but am hitch hiking as someone else asked me this recently and I cannot find an answer.

Big Elf 21:56 06 Mar 04

It's possible that the download or CD is corrupt so trying to download again or another CD might help. I've had this problem in the past with earlier versions of IE.

stevedunham 22:04 06 Mar 04

Tried three different CDs and even got someone with broadband to download the file from Microsoft
still no joy. It has to be something to do with windows but what??????

Kinder Scout 22:12 06 Mar 04

Have you tried installing in safe mode after copying the setup files to hard drive?

stevedunham 22:33 06 Mar 04

Gave it a try but the same result

sidecar sid 09:21 07 Mar 04

Not sure if this is the solution but it might be worth a try.

click here

stevedunham 18:59 12 Mar 04

Tried sidecar sid's suggestion,couldn't find any "oeminf" files. Still can't upgrade

canute44 21:41 12 Mar 04

Have just found your thread. This seems to be very similar to my experiences some weeks ago. After extensive help from members of this forum I was still in the vicious circle and decided to stick with IE5.5. I never got the nerve up to use Ieradicator but I suspect that this is the only true answer. Good luck! I shall keep watching your progress. My OS is Me. There is also a side issue and that is the withdrawal of support for Java type plug-ins in IE6, but I am not sure how much that affects anything important.

canute44 21:50 12 Mar 04

BTW my thread was click here

Diodorus Siculus 22:04 12 Mar 04

Thanks canute44 for that. I am interested in all of this, still trying to work out a solution.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…