Upgrading to IE6 - any points to watch for?

Nosmas 22:55 06 Jun 03

I use First Direct for Internet banking and have just received a message from them, advising that from 30/06/03 Microsoft is removing the option to download IE6 for Windows 98, 98SE & NT4. This will also apply to Windows ME from 31/12/03.

The message also states that the latest browser will be required to ensure compatibility with its security certificates (which the bank will be renewing later this year) to guarantee the authenticity of its secure website. Customers failing to upgrade to IE6 could therefore encounter compatibility issues with the bank's on-line services.

My system is running W98, IE 5.5 and OE 5.0. Before I download IE6 SP1 I would appreciate some guidance re the following: -

1. I presume the download will install on top of IE 5.5 and that I won't need to un-install the old version first.

2. Will I need to save my existing Favourites and if so do I export them to a file and then import them from that file into IE6?

3. Since IE and OE are inter-related, will IE6 have any effect upon my existing OE? There are certain emails that I do not want to lose, and of course want my address book to remain intact.

4. Are there any other things I need to be aware of before downloading and installing IE6?

All info and suggestions gratefully appreciated.

hugh-265156 23:04 06 Jun 03

nothing that i am aware of but back up your favorites and important stuff just in case.

hugh-265156 23:05 06 Jun 03

it will install over 5.5

Bebee 23:10 06 Jun 03

I've just done a clean reinstall of Win ME and upgraded to IE6 via Windows Update with no problems at all.

I have done it previously with no problems as an update. Favourites were retained, but there's no harm in backing them up just in case - it only takes a few moments.

GrahamP 23:12 06 Jun 03

It will also upgrade O/E but you won't lose e-mails or addresses. It's painless apart from the time to download if you're on dial-up.

Nosmas 23:37 08 Jun 03

Many thanks to you all for your reassuring input. Glad to report "mission accomplished" - downloaded IE6 SP1 from click here and it is now installed and appears to be working correctly. I saved my Favourites and exported my Address Book to a floppy, and copied my OE folders to a separate folder on the HDD, but all the originals remained untouched by the download procedure.

Only a few days ago I downloaded ieSpell from click here for use on IE 5.5, but the IE6 install procedure recognised this and re-installed it for me!

For anyone reading this post, ieSpell is a really useful piece of FREE software. Just be aware that the default dictionary is English (U.S.) and needs to be changed to English (U.K.). Do this by clicking on Tools > ieSpell Options and select the Language and Dictionaries tab. Click on the drop-down and select the appropriate dictionary

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…