Upgrading HDD

chaztait 11:48 14 Jun 09

Hi i just bought a laptop for a good price, its only flaw is the 120gb hdd. I could live with it but would was curious of how easy it is to upgrade it. I never got a vista disc with the laptop, can i request once from the shop i got it or micrsoft ? and there is also a recovery partition.

thanks

gengiscant 11:51 14 Jun 09

You could clone your hdd with Acronis or similar to your new hdd.
That would copy all and of course give you a working spare just in case.

chaztait 12:15 14 Jun 09

how would i connect the two hdd's at the same time to clone ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:00 14 Jun 09

Use an external caddy connected to the USB port, then when you have changed drives you can use the 120 in the caddy as backup.

chub_tor 18:39 14 Jun 09

I did exactly as Fruit Bat /\0/\ suggested and upgraded my 120Gb to 350Gb. I installed the new 350Gb into the caddy, connected it to the laptop via the usb leads. Cloned the hard drive in the laptop onto the one in the caddy with Acronis then swapped the drives over so that the new bigger hard drive was now in the laptop. It fired up straight away and by cloning the complete hard drive I was able to retain the hidden partition which contains the operating system. Simple to do and very worth while.

WhiteTruckMan 00:31 15 Jun 09

as the motherboard may not recognise the size of drive you want to upgrade to.

I wanted more space than the 40gig my trusty HP laptop came with, and got a 160 as they were on offer, but installing windows on it was a nightmare as the installation would always fall over at exactly the same place. Turned out it would only talk to about 138 gig (I think, from memory)then began overwriting the beginning of the drive again.

Oh, and make sure you get a drive with the correct connections as well

WTM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant