UPGRADING HARD DRIVE

emcyes 16:30 11 Apr 09

Hi,
I have compaq pc preloaded with windows xp home edition as operating system. The pc is 5yrs old and the hard disk size is 40gb (western digital)
The label on the hard drive says its "enhanced ide hard drive" and it has a 40pin connector. I would like to upgrade with a higher capacity hard drive like 250gb. The o/s is pre loaded and i have system recovery cd's provided by compaq.What are the processes i have to carry out like identifying the correct hard drive,compatibility etc., I am confused if its a sata or scsi hard drive. Please help me in this matter

Legolas 16:42 11 Apr 09

It is neither a sata or a scsi it is an eide drive or just ide, basically the same thing click here

have a look at some here ebuyer is a good web site for computer components

johndrew 16:48 11 Apr 09

Your drive sounds like a normal IDE HDD (not SATA or SCSI). Sometimes these drives are called ATA/PATA drives as well. click here

If your motherboard is new enough you could consider fitting a SATA drive if you wanted.

The easiest way is to buy your new HDD, fit it and use Acronis True Image to clone the drive. That way the transfer is seamless and your new drive contains exactly what you old one has on it.

ATI will also re-designate your new drive as the boot and leave all the data on the old one. All you need to do is make certain you are happy the new drive is working properly and then Format it to give you a clean working/storage area.

DieSse 17:40 11 Apr 09

If you buy a Seagate drive, you can use the free Seagate Disk Wizard to clone your existing drive onto the new drive. Disk Wizard is a cut-down version of Acronis True Image, and ideal for setting up a new drive.

click here

One point to be aware of - older systems may not support larger drives - 5 years old is about borderline. There may be a drive size limit of 137GB or at worst even less. A VERY comprehensive review of size limits.

click here

Strawballs 21:05 11 Apr 09

Unless there is a problem with the 40gig drive why not just fit another drive as a slave for storeing all of your data photo's etc and leave windows alone.

The other advantage of doing it this way is that if you get windows corrupted and need a clean install you only have to format the 40gig drive leaveing all of your data intact.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…