Upgrading Hard Drive

Greengo 11:43 02 Dec 04

I,m replacing my existing 5GB hard drive to a 120GB. What is the best way to copy what is on my current drive to my my new?

Qdiddy 11:46 02 Dec 04

Check the software that comes with the HDD. For example Maxtor has software that does just this and you can dowload it from their site.

Also, you could just drag and drop everything!

Jeffers22 11:50 02 Dec 04

Depends on what you want to copy - the entire system or just the saved data.

Personally, I would take the opportunity to do a fresh install of Windows on the new disk. Once that is done, I would reconnect the old disk (set it as slave on the same IDE channel) then boot to DOS and rename the windows folder on the old HDD. Old HDD should come up as D:

Reboot to windows on C: and you can then drag and drop copy all your data to the new drive. Once you are happy you have everything, the old drive can be reformatted and used as a data drive or for first line data backup.

Jeffers22 11:51 02 Dec 04

You can also drag and drop many settings and such things as favorites or bookmarks, start menu,desktop, email folders and so on

goonerbill © ® 12:05 02 Dec 04

i would follow Jeffers22 suggestion. always best to start with a clean install and then copy over any files you want from your old HDD. only drawback is that all software and programs being installed again a can take a bit of time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…