Upgrading Hard Drive

Quickbeam 19:50 07 Oct 04

I currently have 2 HDs on my system, Ist one is 20gb with 2 primary partitions with XP on. 2nd one is 40gb & has 3 partitions, MP3 files, My Docs & Powerquest backups. I've bought a new 80gb drive which I want to use as the 2nd one with the same 3 partitions & use the current 40gb as the 2 partition OS drive. Whats the best way to go about this? I use partition magic & PQ Drive Image.

Diodorus Siculus 20:35 07 Oct 04

Do you have two optical drives?

If so, it will be simple. Replace one of them with the 80gb disk and partition it as required. Copy data to it from the 40.

Format the 40 and create an image of the partion on the 20 which has the OS. Copy all other data from the 20 to one or other disk. Use PM to ensure partition is bootable.

Remove 20gb disk.

Install 40gb as master.

Install 80 as slave.

Replace optical drive.

Boot up.

Dorsai 21:09 07 Oct 04

I would copy the 20 onto to 80. have the 80 as the boot disk.

How to go about depends on the software that came with the new HDD.

partitioning is a matter of taste/personal opinion.

Above...Copy 40 to 80...copy 20 to 40..

Why not just copy 20 to 80, and have it all over with in one step?

Have the OS on the new Drive, as it new, and in theory should last longer?

Quickbeam 21:19 07 Oct 04

Thanks Diodorus Siculus... y'know sometimes the simplest is not the most obvious! I was thinking of all kind of complicated ways to do this. I will get on with it now I've seen the vision!!! Thanks.

Quickbeam 21:22 07 Oct 04

I jus' posted the above an' now youv'e complicated it again!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…