Upgrading a hard drive

Jean-Luc Picard 22:17 06 Oct 03

I often see comments about Drive Image 7 being theultimate tool for creating images of hard drives. If I do not wish to go to the expense of purchasing the software can File and Settings Wizard in XP do an adequate job and has anyone who has used it got on comments on its pros and cons.

Thanks.

woodchip 22:27 06 Oct 03

Please explain are you on about fitting an extra drive to make a backup on

leo49 22:30 06 Oct 03

No, because they don't do the same thing. All the F&S Wizard does is[from Windows Help]:

"The Files and Settings Transfer Wizard helps you move your data files and personal settings from your old computer to your new one, without having to go through much of the same configuration you did with your old computer. For example, you can take your personal display properties, folder and taskbar options, and Internet browser and mail settings from your old computer and place them on the new one. The wizard will also move specific files or entire folders, such as My Documents, My Pictures, and Favorites."

As you should realise, that is not same as creating an image of the drive.

Jean-Luc Picard 22:35 06 Oct 03

I think my Hard Disk is on the way out its taking longer to read and boot up time has recently increased 3 fold. Recently it refused to boot up even in safe mode and using checkdsk to repair sectors on the hard drive was the only way I could get it to reboot. I hope to buy a new hard disk load my o/s on it then transfer my files and settings then reformating my old hard drive and perhaps using it as a non bootable slave.

Cheers

woodchip 22:43 06 Oct 03

Have you a CDRW if so get Drive Image and make a backup to CDR. Plus if there is an hidden partition on the drive make a backup of that also. You can then do what you want as regards new drive and reinstall from image

Jean-Luc Picard 22:43 06 Oct 03

Hencce my question though, I notice when transferring the Files and Settings to a DVD in case my hard disk expires a lot of my desktop information was being saved such as Photoshop Elements 2. Would I still have to reinstall the programme on the new hard disk despite using the wizard?

woodchip 22:51 06 Oct 03

No it will replace Partition and OS and programs just as they are on your new disc in about 10 mins

leo49 22:51 06 Oct 03

Yes - You'd still have to install Windows and all your programs - the Wizard exports your customisations and shortcuts etc to the new installation so you don't have to redo them all manually.

woodchip 22:53 06 Oct 03

Only problem is it will also load all the rubbish you have on the old drive from old programs that you have removed etc

leo49 22:58 06 Oct 03

Just to clarify as 2 apparently contradictory conversations are going on here.

I'm referring to the File& Settings Wizard - Woodchip is talking about Drive Image.

To copy faithfully a drive you need Drive Image and is one of the few utilities worth spending money on.

woodchip 23:07 06 Oct 03

Think I am ready for bed. Thank's

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…