Upgrading Graphics Card - noob alert!

Ap0k 17:34 11 Aug 07

Hi, i just bought a samsung 226bw 22' monitor (:)) and im thinking about upgrading my radeon 9600 graphics card. I'm looking to get the best for as cheap as possible lol, around £50-£60 - so far the geforce 7600 GT and GS have caught my eye - just wondering if this would be possible on my set up, as its about 4 years old:

Windows XP
Pentium 4 2.80GHz
1 GB RAM (2x 512Mb)
ASUS P4s800D
Radeon 9600

Its a PC i had built, not a brand name, but i dont really know how to get a detailed tech spec of it...

Any help is much appreciated!

brundle 17:45 11 Aug 07

Download this and run it ; click here
The most important thing is to find out what graphics card connector your PC uses. Most probably AGP.

Ap0k 17:55 11 Aug 07

Cheers brundle -

I just d/l'd and ran that program, and it is an AGP connector:

Field Value
Motherboard Name Asus P4S800D (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 WiFi, 4 DDR DIMM, LAN)

brundle 17:59 11 Aug 07

The cards you mentioned are good choices, Nvidia are making things more confusing with their naming but I think GT is still top of the tree. You might find this useful for comparing the two; click here

Make sure your power supply is at least 300watts, even the 6600GT needed a PSU of that spec.

Ap0k 18:27 11 Aug 07

how would i check the power supply?

I looked at that comparison site, the benchmark scores for the 3d thing seemed quite low for these cards... im not into serious gaming, maybe a bit of CS:S - ideally i want something that can improve dvd playback, game fps and keep up with this beast of a screen lol

Totally-braindead 19:05 11 Aug 07

The only way to check the power supply is to physically look. There will be a label on it (inside the PC) and it will say the wattage. And 300 watts is the bare minimum.

Ap0k 20:33 11 Aug 07

cool, ill need to check that tonight. i had a word with my mate - the newer cards (inc geforce 7600 etc) are PCI-E are they not, meaning that my motherboard cant support them? it only has AGP and PCI, not PCI-E.

citadel 22:08 11 Aug 07

you can get 7600gs agp.

Totally-braindead 22:51 11 Aug 07

Heres an example of some of the AGP cards you could get click here and of them the 7600GT is the best sub £100 card you could get if your power supply can handle it but the 7600GS isn't that far behind especially considering the price but you get what you pay for and the GT is better.
The ATI 1950 Pro is better but it needs a better power supply and is about £110-130 depending on which one you get.
Considering the age of your PC, by this I mean speed I think either the 7600GS or the 7600GT would be best for you. Depends on your power supply and budget really.

Ap0k 23:36 11 Aug 07

ah kl stuff. being honest, do you think its just worth updating my whole system? or is a 7600GS/GT with a P4 going to last me much longer? i've been thinking about moving onto a core duo system... but its more money! :O im cheap lol, i know!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…