Upgrading graphics card

cheungy 23:59 29 Jun 03

I'm running an AMD 750 MHz system with 512 MB Ram with a TNT Riva 32 Mb graphics card and would like to upgrade. I've seen the Radeon 9600 card about and it sounds good but it mentions something about supporting 8xAGP.

Can anyone explain what this is?

Also my motherboard supports 4xAGP Pro, does this mean that the Radeon card is not compatible or does it mean that I will not get the full benefit of this card (if so what is the impact and what card should I upgrade to instead)?

Thanks

the 9600 will work in the 4x slot but as you imagine you will not get all the speed it is capable of but all the other benefits will be at your disposal so if youve found one at a reasonable price theres no reason not to go for it. keep in mind that if you bought an n-vidia Ti-4200/4800 you wouldnt have to go through the sticky job of getting rid of the detonator driver.

helmetshine 01:09 30 Jun 03

i've got an AGP x4 m/board as well,running a Radeon 9800 pro with no problems so the 9600 should be fine in yours.From what i've read(not from any experience)the performance hit should be minimal.As for whether it's worth going for that card considering your cpu,you need someone far more knowledgeable than i to anwser that,altho i believe it will be your cpu and poss type of memory that will be the real bottleneck for the card,not your agp slot

cheungy 06:53 30 Jun 03

Thanks, guys, for the responses, they were very helpful. Hope I can return the favour some time. Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…