Upgrading graphics card

Si_L 11:09 14 Sep 07

Are graphics card easy to install? I have a 7300le in there with a PCI-E connection, and I am getting a 8600gt (also PCI-E).

How do you upgrade it? Never had to do it before as I've only recently started gaming on a PC.

Ta :)

PO79 11:27 14 Sep 07

Go to Control Panel\Add Remove Programs and remove any software\Drivers associated with your existing card

Right click My Computer and select properties\hardware\device manager and expand the Display Adapters entry, click on your existing card and select Uninstall (Red Cross Above)

Ignore warning to reboot (if any) and shut down the computer

Open the case and physically remove the existing card (Taking care to ground yourself first), then install the new card in it's place

Close the case and boot the computer. If possible cancel any "Found New Hardware Wizards" and when the PC is up and running, insert the CD that came with your new card and follow any prompts to install drivers and software for the new card.

Good Luck

Totally-braindead 14:13 14 Sep 07

PO79 is right enough in what he says but if you have the latest Nvidia drivers for your 7300 and since the 8600 is the same make and uses the same driver you should just be able to swap them over without deleting etc.
If it did go pear shaped then you just reinstall the Nvidia drivers. Its not a major problem and you will find it easy enough.

keef66 15:50 14 Sep 07

T-B's right; they use the same drivers so just take out the old card and put in the new one, making sure to attach any additional power connectors.

Crazygeorge3 16:31 14 Sep 07

Yeah just make sure that you are careful not to shock yourself. Then it off and unplug the pc completely

Si_L 23:33 14 Sep 07

Cheers guys, sounds straightforward enough.

Thanks for the help :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…