Upgrading to genuine XP Pro

DJ-Garry 02:39 15 Sep 07

A friend of mine has come to me and confessed they have been using a dodgy version of xp pro from ebay and want to change to a legit version. Can this be done 'over the top' keeping everything 'as is' or does it HAVE to be a fresh install? They are VERY dubious of going to Vista (had lots of probs with it at work he says), plus he already has the xp disc, got on a special offer.
Thanks, Garry

ambra4 06:00 15 Sep 07

Yes it can be done just boot from CD and do a repair

Enter new key when requested

radi8or 06:29 15 Sep 07

Personally would do a fresh install, machine would run faster, no nasties lurking, never know what you pick up with copies from the Bay of E.

Tend to agree about Vista i'm leaving it till some of the wrinkles are ironed out.

Regards Bob

DJ-Garry 12:09 23 Sep 07

Right, back on this one now.

When I start the repair install, it asks me what windows I want to repair, I only have the one set up so chose 1.

Then it asks me for the administrator password but I don't use one. I just pressed 'enter' and is sat there doing nothing.

What's going on??????

Cheers, Garry

DJ-Garry 14:59 23 Sep 07

Or should I be using the regular install option and let it go over the top, or will that wipe everything off my C: drive and start a fresh???

H E L P !!!

ambra4 15:06 23 Sep 07

Supagas

Go here and take a read before doing a repair of XP

click here

DJ-Garry 16:15 23 Sep 07

ambra4's suggestion has led me to this program for locating the origional XP product key.
It advises to use a program called Magic Jelly Bean Key Finder (click here) to find the key incase it all goes wrong and I have to do a fresh origonal install.

It states though, that this program has the ability to change the Key.
As the version of XP Pro is working fine, it's just a bogus Key that was used to activate it, the dick was a genuine XP Pro installation dick from a PC at his work. If I just change the Key in the Registry to the legitimate one he has now, we should be able to properly register the product with Microsoft and get all the updates etc.

Does this seem a fair assumption??

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:16 23 Sep 07
  DJ-Garry 16:17 23 Sep 07

Ooopps, sorry I meant diSk !!!!!!!!!

DJ-Garry 20:16 23 Sep 07

right, i've had to log onto the forum using my 3 phone as i now have no internet access. changed the coa key using magic jellybean, no problems. got automatic updates is switched off, click here to correct fault message. did that and it took me to windows update site. did express install. installed 3 updates. no problems so far. then had yellow shield near block telling me updates were downloading and then to install them. 80 i think installed. asked me to reboot, got windows up but took 2mins to bring my desktop icons up. then i got error message: Generic host process for win32 services has encountered a problem and needs to close. clicked on ok and it went. then tried outlook and ie but no access. rebooted cable modem, rebooted pc, still nothing. checked network connections, nothing in the folder. tried to make new connection, said my bb connection shud already be set up. then got error: cannot retrieve data, error 1722: the RPC server is unavailable. then got cannot load phonebook and same error code. oh, and my taskbar had gone from blue to beige! What the hell is happening?

DJ-Garry 20:20 23 Sep 07

right, i've had to log onto the forum using my 3 phone as i now have no internet access. changed the coa key using magic jellybean, no problems. got automatic updates is switched off, click here to correct fault message. did that and it took me to windows update site. did express install. installed 3 updates. no problems so far. then had yellow shield near block telling me updates were downloading and then to install them. 80 i think installed. asked me to reboot, got windows up but took 2mins to bring my desktop icons up. then i got error message: Generic host process for win32 services has encountered a problem and needs to close. clicked on ok and it went. then tried outlook and ie but no access. rebooted cable modem, rebooted pc, still nothing. checked network connections, nothing in the folder. tried to make new connection, said my bb connection shud already be set up. then got error: cannot retrieve data, error 1722: the RPC server is unavailable. then got cannot load phonebook and same error code. oh, and my taskbar had gone from blue to beige! What the hell is happening?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

New iOS 11 release date rumours UK | new features coming to Siri, FaceTime, Messages and Video