Upgrading DVD drive

golucky 17:32 13 Feb 05

My 2 year old Mesh computer came with a DVD/CD Rom D Drive and a CD R/RW 48x E Drive. I've now bought a LG GSA-4163B 16x DVD Writer/DVD-RAM with the intention of replacing the existing DVD/CD ROM drive.
Questions - and I'll appreciate your advice, please:
1. Would it be better to replace the existing CD R/RW drive with the new unit - are there any pros/cons?
2. When installing, is it a straight swap (setting the appropriate master/slave link) or is there anything else I should be aware of?
Again, I'll be glad of your advice.

LeadingMNMs 17:38 13 Feb 05

There aren't really any pros or cons for which drive to replace, it really comes down to personal preference. For example if you wanted to copy a DVD on the fly, then you'd need to keep the DVD Combo drive. On the otherhand, if you only copy CD's then the CD-RW drive is suitable.

Fitting the new drive should be fairly simple, all you need to make sure is that the jumpers on the back are the same as the drives that is removed - more than likely set to Cable Select. Then its just a case of plugging in the IDE cable and power - and possible the Audio cable thingy. When you boot in Windows should find the drive and install the drivers for it.

Stuartli 17:50 13 Feb 05

You are best keeping the CD/DVD-ROM drive for playing audio disks, installing software etc.

Rewriters have a far shorter life expectancy and should be kept purely for burning CD and DVD media.

The rewriter should be the Master and the ROM drive the Slave; the normal Windows CDROM driver is all that is required for either drive.

golucky 17:57 13 Feb 05

Thank you,gents. Sounds straightforward.

Stuartli 13:36 14 Feb 05

Keep the CD rewriter as a spare - you might be glad you did until you get a DVD rewriter replacement..:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5