Upgrading to duel core

briandy 11:27 29 Mar 07

I am currently running on a socket 939 ASUS A8N-E motherboard with an AMD64 3500+ processor. I would like to upgrade the processor to a socket 939 Duel Core Opteron 1.8GHZ 2MB. Is my motherboard compatible as the manual was printed before duel core became available?

Tribal-Wolf 12:30 29 Mar 07

Try Here click here

briandy 20:50 29 Mar 07

Thanks for the link Tribal Wolf, but unfortunately it does not seem to work. I was wondering if any socket 939 motherboard would support any socket 939 processor.

bennyhillslovechild 21:06 29 Mar 07

It certainly supports a lot. With the latest Bios it should run pretty much any 939 chip you want to put in it.

Totally-braindead 21:45 29 Mar 07

The UK ASUS website, which is always very slow appears to be off just now. I suggest you check them later.
I asked about the Opteron chips a while back and no one seemed to be particularly keen on them, I thought about one instead of my 3500+ the same as you. One person mentioned they had spoken to Novatech about the upgrade and was told it wouldn't make a lot of difference even though the Opterons are dual core.
Your board according to the specs sheet does accept dual core as that was mentioned but which dual core and what BIOS you need I do not know as the UK ASUS site is down, you'll really have to check that to be sure.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…