Upgrading Disk drive in old PC

Jem 13:51 14 Jun 07

I now have a spare 60GB (PATA) drive having replaced/upgraded the drive on my newer PC and want to use that drive to upgrade my oldest PC (200MHz, W98SE, 100MB RAM) which currently only has a 5GB drive.

Ideally I don't want to have to reinstall all the OS and software on this machine, although I could if forced to as have CDs. Instead I would like to place an image/copy of the existing drive on the larger, new drive since I believe it would be better to have the new drive as the bootable one containing the OS. I have Acronis True Image and an external USB hard drive (but at present the "old" PC does not have a USB socket (although I do have a spare PCI USB card which could be fitted provided this will work with an elderly, pre-USB era PC). The "old" PC is also connected as part of a home wireless network which might provide another option for (slower) transfer of data.

Questions: what is the best way to do this upgrade? Can W98SE work with NTFS? (I understand FAT32 doesn't support drives above 32GB) or is the answer to partition the new larger drive into 2 30GB volumes and use FAT32?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

keef66 14:19 14 Jun 07

Make a note of the manufacturer of the 60gig drive, then fit it as slave in the old pc. Visit the manufacturer's website where you should find downloadable software which will enable you to clone the 5gig drive to the 60gig one. Then take out the 5gig drive and fit the 60 this time as master.

I believe Acronis will also do the cloning.

Beat the 5 gig drive to death with a hammer if you value your data security.

Not sure about the Win 98SE / FAT32 / max drive size question; off to do some Googling for you.

keef66 14:25 14 Jun 07

Win 98SE / FAT32 should apparently see all of your 60 gig drive; no need to mess about with partitions

keef66 14:43 14 Jun 07

had a look at the Acronis manual and that's clearly the thing to use. It looks so simple even I could do it.

As above, fit the 60 gig as slave, install and run Acronis. When you ask it to clone it will find both disks, specify the 5 gig as source, the 60 gig as destination, and choose to delete the existing partitions on the destination disk.

attach 60 gig drive as master, and kill the 5 gig one. Robert's your relative!

Jem 00:28 15 Jun 07

Many thanks for your response. I have learned from bitter experience it's always a good idea to check out what you plan to do before launching off in hope! Will follow your advice and use Acronis.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…